Katie threatens to take legal action against Violet for "breach of confidentiality," and although Violet feels that she hasn't done anything wrong, she soon realizes she'll have to defend her actions to more people than just Katie. Meanwhile, Cooper suspects that Charlotte may be hiding some lingering feelings for ex-husband Billy, only to find out that Billy has been hiding some feelings of his own.
Episode in detail.
- Kate Walsh as Dr. Addison Montgomery
- Tim Daly as Dr. Pete Wilder
- Audra McDonald as Dr. Naomi Bennett (credit only)
- Paul Adelstein as Dr. Cooper Freedman
- KaDee Strickland as Dr. Charlotte King
- Brian Benben as Dr. Sheldon Wallace
- Caterina Scorsone as Dr. Amelia Shepherd
- Taye Diggs as Dr. Sam Bennett
- Amy Brenneman as Dr. Violet Turner
- Amanda Foreman as Katie Kent
- Chandra West as Val Woodward
- Gabriel Olds as Gary Woodward
- Myk Watford as Billy Douglas
- Burkitt's lymphoma
- Superior vena cava syndrome
- Supplemental oxygen
- C-section delivery
Val was 25 weeks pregnant and got diagnosed with cancer. Since it hadn't been there on previous exam, they knew it was aggressive. She didn't have a few months to wait for the baby to be born, so Addison suggested they deliver immediately so she could begin chemotherapy. Val decided she wanted to wait, potentially at the cost of her own life. Val confessed to Addison that she'd previously had an abortion without telling her husband. She then struggled to breathe and had to be given supplement oxygen. The cancer had given her SVC syndrome. Her husband encouraged her to change her mind and have the baby delivered immediately so she could start treatment, but she resisted because of the past abortion. When she told him about it, he left. Addison later talked to him and informed him that he would lose Val if he didn't talk to her. Val agreed to have the c-section.
- Addison Forbes Montgomery (OB/GYN)
- NICU care
Baby Woodward was delivered at 25 weeks so her mom could start cancer treatment.
|"We're on the Run"||Gold Motel||
|"Search and Destroy"||Sanders Bohike||
|"With All My Lungs"||Jason Poe||
Notes and TriviaEdit
- This episode scored 6.68 million viewers.
- This episode's title probably originated from a popular line from the 1967 movie Cool Hand Luke.
- This episode is the last one not to feature Naomi while Audra McDonald is still credited.
- The dress Addison wears in the beginning of this episode is the same one Cristina will wear later, attending Callie and Arizona's wedding.
A complete overview of this episode's crew can be found here.
|Private Practice Season 4|
|#01||"Take Two"||#09||"Can't Find My Way Back Home"||#17||"A Step Too Far"|
|#02||"Short Cuts"||#10||"Just Lose It"||#18||"The Hardest Part"|
|#03||"Playing God"||#11||"If You Don't Know Me By Now"||#19||"What We Have Here..."|
|#04||"A Better Place to Be"||#12||"Heaven Can Wait"||#20||"Something Old, Something New"|
|#05||"In or Out"||#13||"Blind Love"||#21||"God Bless the Child"|
|#06||"All in the Family"||#14||"Home Again"||#22||"...To Change the Things I Can"|
|#07||"Did You Hear What Happened to Charlotte King?"||#15||"Two Steps Back"|
|#08||"What Happens Next"||#16||"Love and Lies"|
|<< Season 3||Season 5 >>|