|“||Disappearances happen in science. Disease can suddenly fade away, tumors go missing, and we open someone up to discover the cancer is gone. It's unexplained, It's rare, but it happens. We call it mis-diagnosis, say we never saw it in the first place, any explanation but the truth. That life is full of vanishing acts. If something that we didn’t know we had disappears, do we miss it?||”|
A catastrophic mass casualty incident has the interns (sans Cristina) sent into the field with Bailey to do damage control. Back at the hospital, the Chief has dyed his hair and Addison is the only person who defends him. Cristina wants to tell Meredith about her engagement, and wants Meredith to hear it from her first - not easy when word begins to spread among the attendings.
Meredith is lying in a tub still and suddenly she's goes under. Derek comes in and wonders what she's doing. He calls her name and pulls her out of the tub and then leaves. Moments later, Meredith tells Derek and Izzie that she wasn't drowning or wanting to die.
At the hospital, Cristina tells Preston to wait until she tells her Meredith about their engagement. She wants to tell her friend and Preston says Derek is my friend. She says to not tell Derek because he will tell Meredith.
Everyone in the elevator including Addison is looking at Richard's head. Derek comes in the elevator and notice his hair color has changed. Addison tells them to leave him alone while the others are saying why the change.
At the newly clinic, Sydney comes down to help Miranda and her interns practice how to determine patients' injuries. Richard comes in and tells Miranda to put together a triage team because there has been a mass casaulity incident. Cristina stays at Seattle Grace Hospital to handle the incoming patients, while Miranda, Meredith, Izzie, George and Alex arrive and see multiple traumas from the ferry boat accident which caused the container ship clip the boat. The interns don't know where to start first, but Miranda tells them to just go help. Meredith finds a little girl afraid and crying. She won't let go Meredith's hand and so she takes her along.
Derek tells Preston of his love for ferry boats. Preston tells Derek he is his friend and Derek concurs. Preston then tell Derek he is engaged with Cristina and not to tell anyone, but Mark caught that and says congratulations.
(....more to come)
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang
- Katherine Heigl as Dr. Izzie Stevens
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
- T.R. Knight as Dr. George O'Malley
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber
- Kate Walsh as Dr. Addison Montgomery
- Sara Ramírez as Dr. Callie Torres
- Eric Dane as Dr. Mark Sloan
- Isaiah Washington as Dr. Preston Burke
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd
- Elizabeth Reaser as Jane Doe
- Kali Rocha as Dr. Sydney Heron
- Dean Norris as Vince
- Kelly Wolf as Carly Height
- Paul Perri as Rick's Friend
- Kate Burton as Ellis Grey
- Jeffrey Markle as Greg
- Billy Mayo as Rick
- Brian Chenoweth as Scared Guy
- Danielle Kennedy as Angry Woman
- Paul Norwood as Scared Guy #2
- Madison Leisle as Lisa the Child
- Yvans Jourdain as Businessman
- Kim Delgado as Search & Rescue Guy #1
- Preston James Hillier as Cop
- Terrance Christopher Jones as Paramedic #7
- Terry Woodberry as Police Officer
- Alzheimer's disease
Ellis was still in the hospital after her heart surgery.
Meredith's First PatientEdit
- Minor injuries
- Meredith Grey (surgical intern)
Meredith told a woman she had minor injuries and would be taken to the hospital.
- Preston Burke (cardiothoracic surgeon)
Burke rescheduled a patient's valve replacement to free up an OR for incoming traumas.
- Sydney Heron (surgical resident)
Sydney called Jason Kay up to be examined in the clinic.
- Chest injuries
- Leg injuries
- Broken arm
- Crush injuries
- Blown pupil
- Izzie Stevens (surgical intern)
- Closed reduction
Rick was trapped under a car. He had injuries to his chest and leg as well as a broken arm. Izzie also guessed that there was damage to his spine and pelvis, but she couldn't be sure because he was still trapped. Izzie used bandages and gauze to treat as much as she could, but decided to reduce his arm break to help with the pain. As she continued to treat him, he passed out. Izzie noted a blown pupil just before he started seizing.
- Alex Karev (surgical intern)
Alex sent a patient to the treatment area to be patched up.
- Facial injuries
- Crush injuries
Alex found a pregnant woman under a pylon. He believed she was dead and tagged her as such, but as he went to leave, he heard her moan and saw her hand moving, so he pulled the pylon off her body and got her into an ambulance to be taken to the hospital. In the ambulance, she had to be placed on her side to bring her blood pressure up. They took her from the ER to get tests and then scheduled surgery.
- Open abdominal wound
Carly, 45, was injured, but was more concerned with finding her son than getting treated. She finally agreed to surgery when George lied and told her they found her son.
Derek and Meredith bandaged a patient before sending her to the hospital.
Bailey rode back to the hospital with a patient.
- Leg laceration
- Meredith Grey (surgical intern)
Meredith treated a man who had a large gash on his leg. She stitched his wound up and set him to go to the hospital, but he lashed out and knocked Meredith off the pier into the water.
- Callie Torres (orthopedic surgery resident)
Callie told George she had a patient who needed surgery. The patient was later identified as Chris Height.
Alex brought a list of identified patients to the group waiting in the ER: John Jay Anders and Curt Demorat were on the list.
|"The Hop"||Radio Citizen||
|"Opposite Direction"||Union of Knives||
|"Make This Go On Forever"||Snow Patrol||
Notes and TriviaEdit
- This episode's title originated from the song Walk on Water, originally sung by Aerosmith.
- This episode scored 25.20 million viewers.
- This was one of the most expensive episodes of the show to shoot, due to all the green screens and tons of extras.
- The scenes at the ferry crash site were shot at the Santa Anita race track.
Behind the ScenesEdit
- Callie: This is weird. Weird. This is weird, right?
- Bailey: I need more triage tags...
- Callie: Working with someone I’m married to is weird. Here, I’m his boss and his wife. At work, I’m giving him orders, in bed... He’s giving me...
- Bailey: Stop! Right there, I don’t need to know this. I’m tired, I’m busy. While I will concede that you and O’Malley have some challenges to overcome, I’m asking you to remember that this day is a marathon and my mind can only hold what it needs to know, your sex life cannot be held in my mind today... Ever! It cannot be in my mind ever! Never!
- Callie: Whatever.
- Cristina: Meredith, I have a thing...news.
- Meredith: You’re not pregnant again, are you? 'Cause I can’t handle the extra months of bitchiness.
- Addison: (to Richard) I dyed my hair blonde... the day after Derek moved out. Change is good. Your marriage is over, you're starting over. So am I.
- Richard: (to Mark) What's the news?
- Mark: Shepherd and Grey are on the rocks. Burke and Yang got engaged. You need highlights in your hair. That's why it looks so odd. I'm gonna go save lives.
- Alex: (to Jane Doe) Hey. I'm not going to be able to make it to your surgery today. (she reaches for his hand and grabs it) Here's the thing. You were crushed by a pylon. Dozens of people on that ferry boat died, but you're alive, so when I come back to check on you later, you better still be alive. Do you hear me?
A complete overview of this episode's crew can be found here.
|Grey's Anatomy Season 3|
|#01||"Time Has Come Today"||#10||"Don't Stand So Close to Me"||#19||"My Favorite Mistake"|
|#02||"I Am a Tree"||#11||"Six Days, Part 1"||#20||"Time After Time"|
|#03||"Sometimes a Fantasy"||#12||"Six Days, Part 2"||#21||"Desire"|
|#04||"What I Am"||#13||"Great Expectations"||#22||"The Other Side of This Life, Part 1"|
|#05||"Oh, the Guilt"||#14||"Wishin' and Hopin'"||#23||"The Other Side of This Life, Part 2"|
|#06||"Let the Angels Commit"||#15||"Walk on Water"||#24||"Testing 1-2-3"|
|#07||"Where the Boys Are"||#16||"Drowning on Dry Land"||#25||"Didn't We Almost Have It All?"|
|#08||"Staring at the Sun"||#17||"Some Kind of Miracle"|
|#09||"From a Whisper to a Scream"||#18||"Scars and Souvenirs"|
|<< Season 2||Season 4 >>|