|The Face of Change|
|Season 9, episode 14|
|Alex and Jackson work together on a transgender boy.|
February 7, 2013
|“||Change is a funny thing and not everyone can handle it. It can sneak up on you. Things aren't what they used to be. Your whole world has transformed. You realize the ground beneath you has shifted. Things are uncertain and there's no turning back. The world around you is different now, unrecognizable, and there's nothing you can do about it. You're stuck. Your future is staring you in the face and you’re not sure you like what you see. Like I said, I'm not big into change.||”|
Short Summary Edit
Competition heats up as several of the doctors fight to become the new face of Seattle Grace; April brings in an emergency case, and Jackson and Alex work with a transgender teen couple. Meanwhile, the hospital implements new policies which test the patience of the staff.
Full Summary Edit
Episode in detail.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber
- Sara Ramírez as Dr. Callie Torres
- Kevin McKidd as Dr. Owen Hunt
- Jessica Capshaw as Dr. Arizona Robbins
- Sarah Drew as Dr. April Kepner
- Jesse Williams as Dr. Jackson Avery
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd
- Constance Zimmer as Dr. Alana Cahill
- Camilla Luddington as Dr. Jo Wilson
- Gaius Charles as Dr. Shane Ross
- Tina Majorino as Dr. Heather Brooks
- Jerrika Hinton as Dr. Stephanie Edwards
- Justin Bruening as Paramedic Matthew
- Rachel Brosnahan as Brian Weston
- Matt Pascua as Jess
- Brett Rickaby as Mr. Weston
- Nazanin Boniadi as Amrita
- Rob Brownstein as Larry
- Gerald Downey as Dr. Kenton Giles
- Nicole Cummins as Paramedic Nicole
- John Duerler as Grant
- Paull Walia as Dr. Kan Mattoo
- Jeremy Cohenour as Dr. Boyd
- Brandon Ford Green as Dr. Allen
- Yvette Saunders as Dr. Collier
- Maggie Henry as Olivia Noel
- Renee Pezzotta as ER Nurse
- Stephanie Maura Sanchez as Admitting Nurse
Medical Notes Edit
- Staged Silo Repair
Maya, 13 days, was born with her intestines outside her body. They had been pushing them in gradually, a little bit more each day. They were finally ready to close her up.
- Bilateral mastectomy
Brian, 18, was in to have his breasts removed as part of his sex reassignment. The surgery went well and he was in recovery.
- Chest pain
Richard, under cover as Julio Plantain, claimed to have chest pain at a Pegasus hospital to check out the process there.
- Sub-Q Emphysema
- Tension pneumothorax
- April Kepner (trauma surgeon)
- Jackson Avery (plastic surgeon)
- Meredith Grey (general surgeon)
- Cristina Yang (cardiothoracic surgeon)
- Alex Karev (pediatric surgeon)
- Derek Shepherd (neurosurgeon)
- Stephanie Edwards (surgical intern)
- Jo Wilson (surgical intern)
- Shane Ross (surgical intern)
- Heather Brooks (surgical intern)
- Rapid sequence intubation
- Lactated ringers
- Chest tube
- Lung resection
The boy, about 10, was hit by a car and left in the street. He was supposed to be diverted to Redmond, but April assessed that he wouldn't make it there and they instead took him to the closed SGMW ER. After assessing him and stabilizing him in the ER, they took him into an OR for surgery, where they had to remove his spleen and part of one lung.
|"Turn It Around"||Lucius||
|"Song For Zula"||Phosphorescent||
Notes and Trivia Edit
- This episode's title originated from the song The Face of Change, originally sung by INXS.
- This episode scored 8.91 million viewers.
- The song that played in the promo for this episode is "Crash" by Sum 41.
Behind the ScenesEdit
A complete overview of this episode's crew can be found here.
|Grey's Anatomy Season 9|
|#01||"Going, Going, Gone"||#09||"Run, Baby, Run"||#17||"Transplant Wasteland"|
|#02||"Remember the Time"||#10||"Things We Said Today"||#18||"Idle Hands"|
|#03||"Love the One You're With"||#11||"The End is the Beginning is the End"||#19||"Can't Fight This Feeling"|
|#04||"I Saw Her Standing There"||#12||"Walking on a Dream"||#20||"She's Killing Me"|
|#05||"Beautiful Doom"||#13||"Bad Blood"||#21||"Sleeping Monster"|
|#06||"Second Opinion"||#14||"The Face of Change"||#22||"Do You Believe in Magic"|
|#07||"I Was Made for Lovin' You”"||#15||"Hard Bargain"||#23||"Readiness is All"|
|#08||"Love Turns You Upside Down"||#16||"This is Why We Fight"||#24||"Perfect Storm"|
|<< Season 8||Season 10 >>|