|“||Question - when was the last time a complete stranger took off her clothes in front of you, pointed to a big purple splotch on her back, and asked, "what the hell is this thing?" If you're a normal person, the answer is hopefully, never. If you're a doctor the answer is probably about five minutes ago. People expect doctors to have all of the answers. The truth is, we love to think that we have all of the answers, too. Basically, doctors are know-it-alls until something comes along that reminds us we're not. We're all looking for answers in medicine, in life, in everything. Sometimes the answers we're looking for have been hiding just below the surface. Other times, we find answers when we didn't even realize we were asking the question. Sometimes the answers can catch us completely by surprise. And sometimes, even when we find the answer we've been looking for, we're still left with a whole hell of a lot of questions.||”|
The residents are pushed to their limits when Owen puts them through a rigorous trauma certification drill. Meanwhile, Cristina is also tested when left alone to monitor a very ill lung transplant patient.
Episode in detail.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber
- Sara Ramírez as Dr. Callie Torres
- Eric Dane as Dr. Mark Sloan
- Chyler Leigh as Dr. Lexie Grey
- Kevin McKidd as Dr. Owen Hunt
- Jessica Capshaw as Dr. Arizona Robbins
- Kim Raver as Dr. Teddy Altman
- Sarah Drew as Dr. April Kepner
- Jesse Williams as Dr. Jackson Avery
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd
- Melinda Page Hamilton as Dr. Jennifer Stanley
- Ron Perkins as Roy Henley
- Amber Benson as Corrine Henley
- Wynn Everett as Christy Cornell
- Mandy Moore as Mary Portman
- Mark Saul as Resident Steve
- Arlene Santana as Nurse
- Alixandree Antoine as CCU Nurse
- Leith Burke as Dr. McQueen
- End-stage pulmonary hypertension
- Cor pulmonale
- Circulatory collapse
- Cardiogenic shock
- Lung transplant
- Nitric oxide
- Intra-aortic balloon pump
Lungs became available for Roy. Cristina was charged with monitoring him while Teddy went to retrieve the lungs. While she was monitoring him, he coded. An echo revealed cor pulmonale. His daughter was warned that it was possible that he'd need a new heart in addition to the lungs. Cristina consulted with the cardio fellow, Dr. McQueen, but he left Roy in her hands with instructions to insert an intra-aortic balloon pump. After that, his leg turned blue. Teddy said that there was a chance that when she transplanted the lungs, his heart damage would reverse. On ECMO, he was stable-ish. Teddy arrived and transplanted the lungs successfully.
Cristy, 28, was in the hospital for gluteoplasty. She was unhappy with her butt and was in to have a surgical implant to make her butt larger. Lexie had doubts that she was having the surgery for herself, but she assured Lexie that her new butt was just for her.
Bailey and Dr. Stanley did an autopsy on Mary Portman in an attempt to discern her cause of death. Bailey was frustrated when the autopsy showed no obvious cause of death.
|"Ching Ching Ching"||Nikka Costa||
|"Never Gonna Leave Me"||Sia||
|"Bang Bang"||K'naan feat. Adam Levine||
|"Daydreaming"||Dark Dark Dark||
Notes and TriviaEdit
- This episode's title originated from the song That's Me Trying, originally sung by William Shatner.
- This episode scored 11.92 million viewers.
- Sarah Drew revealed on her Twitter page that this episode was her favorite season 7 episode to film.
- Bill Portman doesn't appear in this episode, but he does appear in a deleted scene from this episode included on the DVD boxset.
- Callie: Okay. Fine. I don't want to go to Africa. But I do wanna be with you. Okay? So, I'm really trying it. We'll miss our plane, let's go. Oh my god! Okay, you wanna fight? The flight is eighteen hours, we can fight on the plane.
- Arizona: You're ruining this for me. And I don't wanna do this.
- Callie: What? What does that mean? What, you suddenly don't wanna go?
- Arizona: I - I don't wanna go to Africa with you.
- Callie: Arizona. No, okay? No.
- Arizona: I'm sorry. I'm sorry.
- Callie: You're sorry, you're sorry? It's three years.
- Arizona: I'm gonna miss my plane. You take care of yourself.
- Callie: No. No! Please. Please I can - we can do this, we can figure this out.
- Arizona: You stay here and be happy. And I'll go there and be happy.
- Callie: If you get on that plane, if you go without me, we are done. Do you hear me? We are over.
- Arizona: We're standing in the middle of an airport, screaming at each other. We are already over.
- Owen: Whoa, whoa. What're you doing? This ambulance is not in play.
- April: You're making stuff up, which I can do, too. And I say that it is in play. You can't fit nine patients in an ambulance but two will fit just fine. Seven of my patients may have died today, but these two won't. 'Cause I'm gonna get them on this ambulance and I'm gonna take them to that hospital. Right there!
- Alex: All right!
- Owen: Kepner, this ambulance was involved in the accident and no longer runs!
- April: Well, key's in the ignition, so let's see. (starts it up and laughs) Looks like I got triple-a! Well, apparently they could get here when the helicopter couldn't. Now, move! Or I will run you down!
- Owen: All right Kepner that's enough!
- Alex: Look, will you tell her she won or she's never gonna stop.
- Owen: It's not a contest!
- April: Karev, call the OR and make sure there's a room available!
- Alex: Will do!
- Owen: All right, all right. Fine. Blue team wins!
- April: Blue team wins?!
- Owen: Yeah, yeah. You win. He's gonna live for 40 more years and have 15 grandkids, you happy.
- April: We won! Yay! (jumps into Alex's arms) Yay! YEAAAH!
- Christy: Dr. Grey, please don't take this the wrong way, but even through your lab coat I can tell you have an amazing ass. And with an ass like that I bet you know what it's like to find the perfect pair of jeans, jeans that make you feel like the sexiest person to ever put on a pair of pants. And I envy that, 'cause I never have. Every pair hangs off me, unless I shop in the boy's department. And I have tried gaining weight, Dr. Grey. It turns out I'm a person whose fat goes straight to my upper arms and my boobs. Which makes it really hard for me to wear a sundress. Which is all I can wear, 'cause jeans don't fit. So Dr. Grey, I am getting a big, juicy, easy-to-grab-onto ass, and you better believe I am doing it just for me.
- Lexie: Okay, I am not an errand girl. I am a doctor with a patient who is about to make a giant, butt-shaped mistake.
- Mark: That's not for you to say.
- Lexie: Okay, well someone has to. The only reason a woman does something like this to her body is to impress a guy. Okay sure, it starts with a giant butt and then the next thing you know, she's giving up her friends, she's moving in with him before she's even ready, and if she's not careful she'll find herself the 26-year-old stepmother to the pregnant daughter she didn't even know he had. And then she's single, dyeing her hair a new color, and you know what? It's really hard to manage your roots when you've been committed to the pysch ward.
- Mark: Pysch ward?
- Lexie: It happens, okay?
- Cristina: How are you fine? How are you just completely fine? I'm ruined, okay I'm dead. I am wrecked. And you're just what, walking around babysitting me? As if you didn't go through the same thing too. Why are you okay?
- Meredith: I don't know.
- Cristina: You know what, you were there too. You were there too with your sad eyes screaming at me to save his life. Telling the guy to shoot you and not giving a crap about yourself or your pregnancy. I didn't have a choice. And you did that. If it was anyone else on the table, if it was anyone else standing there I would have walked away.
- Meredith: You could not have walked away.
- Cristina: I could have walked away and then I wouldn't be here!
A complete overview of this episode's crew can be found here.
|Grey's Anatomy Season 7|
|#01||"With You I'm Born Again"||#09||"Slow Night, So Long"||#17||"This is How We Do It"|
|#02||"Shock to the System"||#10||"Adrift and at Peace"||#18||"Song Beneath the Song"|
|#03||"Superfreak"||#11||"Disarm"||#19||"It's a Long Way Back"|
|#04||"Can't Fight Biology"||#12||"Start Me Up"||#20||"White Wedding"|
|#05||"Almost Grown"||#13||"Don't Deceive Me (Please Don't Go)"||#21||"I Will Survive"|
|#06||"These Arms of Mine"||#14||"P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)"||#22||"Unaccompanied Minor"|
|#07||"That's Me Trying"||#15||"Golden Hour"|
|#08||"Something's Gotta Give"||#16||"Not Responsible"|
|<< Season 6||Season 8 >>|