|“||Gratitude, appreciation, giving thanks. No matter what words you use, they all mean the same thing. Happy. We're supposed to be happy. Grateful for friends, family. Happy just to be alive. Whether we like it or not. Maybe we're not supposed to be happy. Maybe gratitude has nothing to do with joy. Maybe being grateful means recognizing what you have for what it is. Appreciating small victories. Admiring the struggle it takes simply to be human. Maybe we're thankful for the familiar things we know. And maybe we're thankful for the things we'll never know. At the end of the day, the fact that we have the courage to still be standing is reason enough to celebrate.||”|
None of the doctors can resist cutting as Izzie tries embrace the season by making a perfect thanksgiving dinner but doesn't know how, however Burke saves the day and helps her, while Cristina, Meredith, and Alex hide at work instead of helping Izzie; and George has to embrace his own O'Malley tradition by shooting a turkey.
Episode in detail.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang
- Katherine Heigl as Dr. Izzie Stevens
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
- T.R. Knight as Dr. George O'Malley
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber
- Kate Walsh as Dr. Addison Montgomery-Shepherd
- Isaiah Washington as Dr. Preston Burke
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd
Special Guest StarEdit
- Greg Pitts as Jerry O'Malley
- Tim Griffin as Ronny O'Malley
- Sarah Utterback as Olivia Harper
- Steven W. Bailey as Joe
- Andrew James Allen as Coby McKee
- Michael Matthys as Dr. Kent
- Dee Nelson as Cheryl Leonard
- Mike Faiola as Guy
- Peter Howard as Hal Leonard
- Jack Yang as Walter
- Gregor Manns as Levi Johnson
- Minimal consciousness
- Temporal parietal scalp laceration
- Epidural hematoma
- Residential care
Holden was a firefighter who was injured by falling debris and was believed to be in a persistent vegetative state. He was in residential care. He fell from his bed and his insurance required him to get checked out at the hospital before he could go back. He had a scalp laceration, which they stitched up and they also ran a CT. While he was at the hospital, he opened his eyes and tracked Meredith's voice. Derek determined that he wasn't PVS. He was minimally conscious. Derek believed they might be able to wake him up. They administered amphetamines to give his brain a push. He woke up soon afterward, but still had minimal mobility due to muscle atrophy. An MRI revealed an epidural hematoma. They operated to try to fix the bleed, but he died during the surgery.
- Third-degree burns
- Miranda Bailey (surgical resident)
Bailey treated a patient with third-degree burns over half his body, which he sustained while trying to deep fry a turkey.
Bailey's Other PatientEdit
- Stab wound
- Surgical extraction
Bailey operated to remove a knife from a man who had been stabbed by his wife.
- George O'Malley (surgical intern)
- Truncal vagotomy
George tried to tell his brothers about a surgery he assisted on.
- Foreign body in esophagus
- Cristina Yang (surgical intern)
- Foreign body removal
Cristina treated Levi, who had swallowed a wishbone. He needed surgery to remove it.
- Gun shot wound
- George O'Malley (surgical intern)
Harold was shot in the butt by one of his sons. George took him to the hospital to remove the birdshot.
Richard mentioned a whipple happening when he was meant to be going home.
|"Nu Nu (Yeah Yeah)"||Fannypack||
|"New Song (From Me to You)"||Dressy Bessy|
|"Too Hard"||Mark McAdam|
|"Not Going Anywhere"||Keren Ann|
|"Sad Eyes"||Josh Rouse||
Notes and TriviaEdit
- This episode's title originated from the song Thanks For the Memories, originally sung by Frank Sinatra.
- This episode scored 20.33 million viewers.
- The season 2 DVD set includes an extended version of this episode as well as an audio commentary by writer Shonda Rhimes and editor Susan Vaill.
- The dialog between Burke and Izzie when they are cooking dinner is almost exactly the same as George's appendectomy in the pilot. It even had the same background music.
- This is the first Grey's episode to begin with a rap song.
- Cristina: Where does Meredith keep the booze?
- George: I don't think she has any.
- Cristina: How is that possible? She's a WASP. Liquor is like oxygen to a WASP.
- George: Which is why we're out of liquor.
- Cristina: (about inviting Burke to the Thanksgiving dinner) What was I supposed to do? Blow off my boyfriend for Thanksgiving? I tried to. He wouldn't blow. He's like something sticky that won't blow off.
- Joe: Hey, this is my boyfriend Walter.
- Cristina: Whatever. Tell me you brought liquor.
- Joe: I brought pie. Pumpkin.
- Cristina: You're a bartender!
- Joe: Did you bring scalpels?
- Bailey: I like Thanksgiving. Day people spend with their families. Too much family time triggers depression, repressed childhood rage, bitter disputes over the remote and way too much alcohol. People get stupid. People get violent. People get hurt.
- Meredith: And that's a good thing because?
- Bailey: Surgeries, Grey! Lots and lots of surgeries.
- Harold: George, Jerry is a dry cleaner. Ronny works in a post office. I drive a truck. You're a surgeon. You're not one of us. I know it and they know it. You make sure we know it.
- George: Dad.
- Harold: I'm, I'm not blaming you. It makes me proud that you're so smart. Like I did something right. It's just... We try! We try to include you but, you don't like the stuff that we like. And we don't know how to talk about the stuff that you want to talk about. You're not one of us but, damn it we don't treat you like you're stupid. You treat us like we're stupid. And maybe we are but we're your family. Give us an inch, Georgie. Every once in a while, pick a car.
A complete overview of this episode's crew can be found here.
|Grey's Anatomy Season 2|
|#01||"Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head"||#10||"Much too Much"||#19||"What Have I Done to Deserve This?"|
|#02||"Enough is Enough"||#11||"Owner of a Lonely Heart"||#20||"Band-Aid Covers the Bullet Hole"|
|#03||"Make Me Lose Control"||#12||"Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer"||#21||"Superstition"|
|#04||"Deny, Deny, Deny"||#13||"Begin the Begin"||#22||"The Name of the Game"|
|#05||"Bring the Pain"||#14||"Tell Me Sweet Little Lies"||#23||"Blues for Sister Someone"|
|#06||"Into You Like a Train"||#15||"Break on Through"||#24||"Damage Case"|
|#07||"Something to Talk About"||#16||"It's the End of the World"||#25||"17 Seconds"|
|#08||"Let It Be"||#17||"As We Know It"||#26||"Deterioration of the Fight or Flight Response"|
|#09||"Thanks for the Memories"||#18||"Yesterday"||#27||"Losing My Religion"|
|<< Season 1||Season 3 >>|