Addison receives a surprise visit from her brother and fellow surgeon, Archer, and his presence not only causes trouble for her, but for Naomi and Sam as well. Meanwhile Meg returns to try to make it work with Pete, and a patient accused of a malicious crime stirs up anger and emotions, for both Violet and Dell.
Episode in detail.
- Kate Walsh as Dr. Addison Montgomery
- Tim Daly as Dr. Pete Wilder
- Audra McDonald as Dr. Naomi Bennett
- Paul Adelstein as Dr. Cooper Freedman
- KaDee Strickland as Dr. Charlotte King
- Chris Lowell as Dell Parker
- Taye Diggs as Dr. Sam Bennett
- Amy Brenneman as Dr. Violet Turner
- Grant Show as Dr. Archer Montgomery
- Jayne Brook as Meg Porter
- Cullen Douglas as Hal Jarvis
- Darby Stanchfield as Tess Milford
- Scott Michael Campbell as Gregory Milford
- Geffri Maya as Maya Bennett
- David Sutcliffe as Kevin Nelson
- Tom Bresnahan as Warren Pearl
- Liz Torres as Judge Ortiz
- Ajay Mehta as Surgeon
- George Griffith as Attending
- Karen Strassman as Anesthesiologist
- Mike Madrigal as Foreman
- Violet Turner (psychiatrist)
- Talk therapy
Hal had had three sessions with Violet, during which they discussed his divorce. She later testified during his trial. He received a suspended sentence, but the condition was that he have daily sessions with Violet, after hours. After a few sessions with him, in which he discussed his obsession with Jody Sampica, a young girl, Violet called the judge and said she believed Jody was in danger because of Hal.
- Fetal heart failure
- Mirror syndrome
- Fetal demise
- Fetal surgery
Tess was pregnant with triplets conceived through IVF. Two of the triplets had conjoined blood vessels and they were showing signs of heart failure, so Addison wanted to operate to separate the blood vessels. Tess declined, saying they'd interfered with God's will by doing IVF in the first place. She later collapsed at the airport because one of the babies had fluid around his heart and she mirrored it. Addison operated. During the surgery, Tess had a hyperthermic reaction, so they had to close early and since Tess was weak, they'd have to wait before trying again. Addison later did an ultrasound and found out that the baby not involved in the connection had died. Addison agreed to operate again under local anesthesia. The surgery was successful.
- Nicotine addiction
- Pete Wilder (alternative medicine specialist)
- Nicotine patch
Meg was trying to quit smoking, so she used a nicotine patch, but Pete tried acupuncture with her instead, thinking it would be better. She later smoked again.
- Gunshot wound
- Perihepatic hematoma
- Unnamed surgeon
Kevin was shot on the job. He had to have surgery to remove the bullet and repair the damage.
|"Steal My Sunshine"||Len||
|"Ladies N Gents"||Sugarush||
|"Panic and the Should Attacks"||Nico Stai||
|"As Much As You Lead"||Lex Land||
Notes and TriviaEdit
- This episode scored 6.33 million viewers.
- Darby Stanchfield guest stars in this episode, and she would later become part of the main cast of Scandal, another Shonda Rhimes show. In Scandal, she portrays Abby Whelan.
- Violet's disliked patient in Private Practice is also a character on Grey's Anatomy, a well-liked heart patient of Erica Hahn.
- Addison: A polite houseguest would have called to say "I'm not coming home."
- Archer: Good thing I'm not polite.
- Naomi: Who knew that meaningless sex could be amazing?
- Violet: You had meaningless sex?! Congratulations!
- Addison: With my brother!
- Violet: Oh, nice! Yeah, he's very...
- Addison: Violet!
- Violet: Sorry. I know it's difficult to view family members in a sexual context...
- Addison: Stop. Stop. My brother and sex in the same sentence, ew, ew, ew.
A complete overview of this episode's crew can be found here.
|Private Practice Season 2|
|#01||"A Family Thing"||#09||"Know When to Fold"||#17||"Wait and See"|
|#02||"Equal and Opposite"||#10||"Worlds Apart"||#18||"Finishing"|
|#03||"Nothing to Talk About"||#11||"Contamination"||#19||"What Women Want"|
|#04||"Past Tense"||#12||"Homeward Bound"||#20||"Do the Right Thing"|
|#05||"Let It Go"||#13||"Nothing to Fear"||#21||"What You Do for Love"|
|#06||"Serving Two Masters"||#14||"Second Chances"||#22||"Yours, Mine & Ours"|
|#08||"Crime and Punishment"||#16||"Ex-Life"|
|<< Season 1||Season 3 >>|