|“||As doctors, we're trained to be skeptical, because our patients lie to us all the time. The rule is, every patient is a liar until proven honest. Lying is bad. Or so we are told constantly from birth—honesty is the best policy, the truth shall set you free, I chopped down the cherry tree, whatever. The fact is, lying is a necessity. We lie to ourselves because the truth, the truth freaking hurts. No matter how hard we try to ignore or deny it, eventually the lies fall away, whether we like it or not. But here's the truth about the truth: It hurts. So we lie.||”|
George is stuck with an elderly lady who refuses to leave, or even refer to him as Dr. O'Malley; while Alex has to wrestle with a Japanese competitive eater to stay in the hospital, all the while being too nervous to open his board results. Cristina is blunt to a guitarist whose fingers need replantation, while lying to Burke about moving in; as Meredith has a euphoric patient she thinks is lying. Bailey's pregnancy is now far enough to cause more problems than fun for her.
Episode in detail.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang
- Katherine Heigl as Dr. Izzie Stevens
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
- T.R. Knight as Dr. George O'Malley
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber
- Kate Walsh as Dr. Addison Montgomery-Shepherd
- Isaiah Washington as Dr. Preston Burke
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd
- Carole Cook as Sophie Larson
- Donovan Leitch as Rick Friart
- Nancy Linari as Sophie's Daughter
- Robin Pearson Rose as Patricia
- Cathy Lind Hayes as Nurse Debbie
- Jill Holden as Naomi Cline
- Christopher Boyer as Tom Cline
- John O'Brien as Jeffrey
- Ricardo Molina as ID Resident Amir
- Rigo Sanchez as Paramedic
- Natalie N. Okamoto as Yumi
- Kate Anthony as GI Nurse
- Yutaka Takeuchi as Kamaji
- Tyshawn Bryant as Friend #1
- Derek Shepherd (neurosurgeon)
Derek was seen operating on a patient.
- Derek Shepherd (neurosurgeon)
Derek drew Meredith's blood for a family history so her mother could get into a clinical trial.
- Traumatic amputation of fingers
Rick, 29, had 3 fingers on one hand amputated. Derek determined that he could attempt to re-attach the fingers, but Rick would have to quit smoking. He agreed and his fingers were re-attached successfully.
- Hip replacement
- Residential care
Sophie, 78, had had hip replacement surgery a month prior, but was still in the hospital because she didn't want to go to her residential facility, Sugar Maple Nursing Home. Because of this, George sent her to OB to be checked for a prolapsed uterus, which was impossible as she'd had a hysterectomy in 1974. They then said they suspected West Nile Virus and had her checked out by an infectious disease doctor. When that was determined not to be true, she admitted that she just didn't want to go to the nursing home.
- Persistent hiccups
- Esophageal tear
- Boerhaave syndrome
Yumi, 22, had persistent hiccups. She was given chlorpromazine, which stopped them for a while, but they came back, so she needed a surgical consult. She went into an esophogram, which revealed a tear in her esophagus. Her coach took her out of the hospital and allowed her to participate in a competitive eating competition, which worsened the tear in her esophagus. They rushed her into surgery to repair the tear.
- Braxton-Hicks contractions
- Addison Montgomery-Shepherd (OB/GYN)
- Bed rest
Addison determined that Bailey was having Braxton-Hicks contractions and advised her to slow down. When she showed signs of pre-term labor, she was sent home for bed rest.
- Carcinoid tumor
- Valve failure
- Valve replacement
- Tumor resection
Naomi, 43, had had a tricuspid porcine valve replacement three years prior. Her heart valve was showing signs of failure, ahead of schedule. She was also very, very happy, so Meredith suspected drug use. They ran a drug scene, which revealed no drug use, but a spike in her serotonin. They linked that and her adult-onset asthma with her valve failure to discover a carcinoid tumor in her lung. They took her into surgery to remove the tumor and she was expected to make a full recovery.
|"A Good Thing"||St. Etienne||
|"Wienermobile Girl"||Mike Tarantino||
|"I Got Some Moves"||Sam Winch||
|"Am I Just One"||Carey Ott||
|"Fool's Gold"||Adrienne Pierce||
Notes and TriviaEdit
- This episode's title originated from the song Little Lies, originally sung by Fleetwood Mac.
- This episode scored 21.04 million viewers.
- Bailey mentions she is 47 months pregnant, though it's obviously meant to be hyperbole.
- The nurses put forth a ten-day advance notification for their strike.
- The song Sophie Larson sings repeatedly is "Stormy Weather" by Ethel Waters.
- Miranda: I may be forty-seven months pregnant. I may be on bed rest. I may not be able to see my own feet. But I am Dr. Bailey. I hear everything. I know everything. I’m watching each and every one of you. And I will return.
- Miranda: Tell me that's not a dog.
- All interns together: It's not a dog.
- George: You don't get to choose.
- Meredith: Huh?
- George: I know you've been going through a bad time, I know you miss Shepherd, and I know that your life, admittedly, has been pretty unpleasant these days. You get points for breathing in and out, you get to be a little selfish, but you don't get to choose a dog over me. I'm George. I sleep down the hall from you. I buy your tampons. I have held your hand every time you've asked. I've earned the right to be seen, to be respected, to not have you think of me as less than a dog you got from the pound. So... I'm not moving out. Whether you like it or not, I'm staying.
A complete overview of this episode's crew can be found here.
The Grey Matter blog post on this episode can be found here.
|Grey's Anatomy Season 2|
|#01||"Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head"||#10||"Much too Much"||#19||"What Have I Done to Deserve This?"|
|#02||"Enough is Enough"||#11||"Owner of a Lonely Heart"||#20||"Band-Aid Covers the Bullet Hole"|
|#03||"Make Me Lose Control"||#12||"Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer"||#21||"Superstition"|
|#04||"Deny, Deny, Deny"||#13||"Begin the Begin"||#22||"The Name of the Game"|
|#05||"Bring the Pain"||#14||"Tell Me Sweet Little Lies"||#23||"Blues for Sister Someone"|
|#06||"Into You Like a Train"||#15||"Break on Through"||#24||"Damage Case"|
|#07||"Something to Talk About"||#16||"It's the End of the World"||#25||"17 Seconds"|
|#08||"Let It Be"||#17||"As We Know It"||#26||"Deterioration of the Fight or Flight Response"|
|#09||"Thanks for the Memories"||#18||"Yesterday"||#27||"Losing My Religion"|
|<< Season 1||Season 3 >>|