Pete and Violet anxiously prepare for their wedding day, but Cooper may have to intervene when emotions and fear of the future run high. Things have taken a surprise turn with Addison and Sam, and Naomi juggles the burden of caring for her daughter and newborn granddaughter and worries about Dink's ability to parent. Despite disagreements and deeply-rooted conflicts, the doctors come together to mourn the loss of their friend, Dell.
Charlotte and Cooper are having sex, and so are Violet and Pete. Cooper wants to start talking about the wedding, but Charlotte wants to have that conversation later. Violet think she and Pete will wake up the baby, but Pete says Lucas is a heavy sleeper. Meanwhile, Cooper and Charlotte have conflicting ideas about their wedding because of their different religions. As they decide it's a not a good time to have sex now and go get ready for work, Pete tells Violet that they should get married.
Sam tells Naomi that she looks tired. She says she is because she's been flying back and forth to see William and his granddaughter doesn't like to sleep at night. Sam thinks that Maya and Olivia should start depending on Dink instead of on her, but Naomi is not ready for that and neither is he, as he's still a boy. They greet Addison, who stops Amelia from lighting her cigarette. "When did you start smoking?" Addison asks her. "Since Derek took a bullet to the chest," Amelia replies, and she says she won't go to Seattle to visit him as he's not even returning her calls. "You're afraid," Addison says, but Amelia tells her to quit therapy talk as she just passed on a relationship with Sam, who's basically perfect. Addison then demands the cigarettes.
All the doctors are watching Dell's gravestone, which is located next to Heather's. They can't believe that Dell is dead, and they all agree the world is a crappy place. Naomi compliments Pete once again on the gravestone he chose for Dell. Violet then blurts out that she and Pete are getting married. Everyone but Cooper congratulates them.
At the practice, Violet tells Cooper about Pete's proposal. Cooper wants to hug her as a friend, but as objective Cooper, he thinks it's a little too fast. "Friend Cooper first," Violet says, so Cooper hugs her. She then tells him that all she needs for her wedding are Pete and the people she loves around her, and she can have that now. She informs him that she wants to have the wedding this weekend. Cooper thinks there are reasons to wait, but none of the ones he lists are reasons for Violet. She says that if he keeps annoying her about it, he doesn't get to be her maid of honor.
Charlotte is treating Ryan Mason, a kidney patient who's now in heart failure, in the ER of the hospital. He thinks he'll be dead long before there will be a donor available, but Charlotte reminds him to be positive. As he knows a match is almost impossible because of the antibodies from the previous blood transfusion, Charlotte reminds him that there's a better chance with a family member's kidney. However, Ryan refuses to call his brother and instead, he offers to buy himself to the top of transplant list. He offered Sam a new MRI for the hospital last week, and he now offers to buy a new sports car for Charlotte. She doesn't think is funny, and then convinces him to call his brother.
Naomi wants to explain the possible issues of a surrogate mother to Dave and Kendra Walker, but they got experience with surrogate mothers. Naomi questions this as their file says that they don't have kids, and they explain that they lost their son, Max, when he was 5 months old. They talk about their son, and an emotional Dave begs her to help them.
Naomi enters Addison's office and tells them about the couple, and gives her Kendra's file. Addison remembers the name, and what happened to their son. The father left Max in the car, and the baby suffocated to death. Charlotte enters Ryan Mason's room, where Sam had been talking to Ryan and his brother Kevin. She tells the transplant need to happen as soon as possible. When they talk, Charlotte realizes that Kevin's mental state is questionable. As Kevin is transported outside, Ryan says that he and Kevin don't have that much contact, but Kevin will surely give a kidney because he idolizes him.
Dave and Kendra are in Sheldon's office, and Sheldon asks them why they didn't tell how their son died. Dave says that people look at you differently when they know, they judge. He swears they're good parents, and Sheldon has no doubts about this, but he'd like to talk about how they grieved Max's death.
- Kate Walsh as Dr. Addison Montgomery
- Tim Daly as Dr. Pete Wilder
- Audra McDonald as Dr. Naomi Bennett
- Paul Adelstein as Dr. Cooper Freedman
- KaDee Strickland as Dr. Charlotte King
- Brian Benben as Dr. Sheldon Wallace
- Caterina Scorsone as Dr. Amelia Shepherd
- Taye Diggs as Dr. Sam Bennett
- Amy Brenneman as Dr. Violet Turner
- French Stewart as Kevin Mason
- Currie Graham as Ryan Mason
- Shane Johnson as Dave Walker
- Katie Lowes as Kendra Walker
- Stephen Lunsford as Fillmore Davis
- Kidney failure
- Kidney rejection
- Kidney transplant
Ryan was in the ER with chest pains. He was in heart failure because he'd developed cardiomyopathy secondary to his kidney failure. His kidneys had completely shut down and he was added to the transplant list. Charlotte suggested that she'd have a better chance getting one from a family member and encouraged him to call his brother. He did and despite his brother being intellectually disabled, the transplant went through and his new kidney started working immediately. He later started bleeding into his abdomen and rejected the kidney, meaning he was going to die.
Kendra had lupus, which is why she and her husband were planning to use a surrogate to have a baby.
- Addison Forbes Montgomery (OB/GYN)
Addison told Naomi she was in the ER when Max Walker, 5 months, came in. His father had left him in the car and he suffocated to death.
- Intellectual disability
- Residential care
Kevin lived in a group home for people with intellectual disabilities. Despite this, he donated his kidney to his brother.
- Wanting a baby
Kendra and Dave wanted a baby. When Naomi discovered that they had had a baby who was left in the car and suffocated to death, she had them talk to Sheldon about why they didn't disclose that initially.
- Uterine scarring
- Addison Forbes Montgomery (OB/GYN)
Sharon, the Walkers' surrogate, had scarring from a postpartum hemorrhage, so Naomi asked Addison to help. She was determined to have the surgery to help the Walkers because she'd lost a baby the same way they did. Addison agreed to do the procedure.
|"Your Touch"||The Black Keys||
|"Mama Don't Like My Man"||Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings||
|"I Don't Want to Leave"||Matthew Perryman Jones||
|"The Thanks I Get"||Wilco||
Notes and TriviaEdit
- This episode scored 9.02 million viewers.
- This episode features a guest appearance appearance by Katie Lowes, who would become part of Shonda Rhimes's show Scandal, in which Katie portrays Quinn Perkins.
- Naomi: Do you want to hear something incredibly sad?
- Addison: Who says yes to that?
- Naomi: I'm gonna tell you anyway.
- Cooper: I can talk to Violet about anything and after I do, I know we're gonna be okay.
- Charlotte: Well, I'm glad to hear you and Violet have this thing together that makes you so damn happy. Call me crazy but I figured you just decided you wanted to marry me because I was that person.
- Amelia: I got bored hanging around Addison's. I was kinda hoping a patient would stroke out or bang their skull against something so I had a chance to cut open their head.
- Sheldon: If it were anyone but you saying that, I'd be recommending therapy.
- Amelia: So who you're hiding from?
- Sheldon: Charlotte.
- Amelia: Oh, because she picked Cooper?
- Sheldon: I'm mad, which is completely reasonable, don't you think?
- Amelia: You're the shrink.
- Sheldon: We're notoriously bad at self analysis, but every time I see Charlotte, I wanna punch a puppy.
- Cooper: Even after you and Pete get married, I still want us to be us.
- Violet: Well, that will never change. Ever.
- Amelia: I tried calling Derek. Actually, I called and e-mailed. He's ignoring me, so the only way I can find out how he's doing is to call my mother, who lectures me on how I should call my brother, which means I have to get off the phone before I find out how he's doing.
- Addison: He's doing fine.
- Amelia: What, you've heard from him?
- Addison: Yes, Amelia, I...
- Amelia: Well, that kinda says it all, doesn't it?
- Sam: Dink! School's over. How come you're not at home with Maya and Olivia?
- Josh: We're kinda in the middle of a game here, bro.
- Sam: The game's kinda of over, bro.
- Basketball Player: Dude!
- Sam: Get lost. You better get out my face.
- Amelia: I'm leaving.
- Addison: Where to?
- Amelia: Somewhere nobody knows me. Where I haven't already screwed things up. Where you can drink in the morning and not feel guilty about it.
- Addison: Well, when you find a place like that, tell me.
- Amelia: That would defeat the purpose.
- Kendra: I have all this love to give and nowhere to put it. Please, just say you believe in second chances.
A complete overview of this episode's crew can be found here.
|Private Practice Season 4|
|#01||"Take Two"||#09||"Can't Find My Way Back Home"||#17||"A Step Too Far"|
|#02||"Short Cuts"||#10||"Just Lose It"||#18||"The Hardest Part"|
|#03||"Playing God"||#11||"If You Don't Know Me By Now"||#19||"What We Have Here..."|
|#04||"A Better Place to Be"||#12||"Heaven Can Wait"||#20||"Something Old, Something New"|
|#05||"In or Out"||#13||"Blind Love"||#21||"God Bless the Child"|
|#06||"All in the Family"||#14||"Home Again"||#22||"...To Change the Things I Can"|
|#07||"Did You Hear What Happened to Charlotte King?"||#15||"Two Steps Back"|
|#08||"What Happens Next"||#16||"Love and Lies"|
|<< Season 3||Season 5 >>|