|Sympathy for the Parents|
|Season 6, episode 19|
|Alex screaming at his brother Aaron.|
April 1, 2010
- "Psychologists believe that every aspect of our lives, all our thought processes and behavior patterns, are the direct result of our relationship to our parents. That every relationship that we have is really just another version of that first relationship. It's just us trying over and over again to get it right. It's the most important job in the world. You probably should need a license to do it, but then most of us wouldn't even pass the written exam. Some people are naturals. They were born to do it. Some have other gifts. But the good news is biology dictates you don't have to do it alone. You can waste your whole life wondering, but the only way to find out what kind of parent you'd be is to finally stop talking about it and just do it."
- —Meredith Grey
When Alex's younger brother, Aaron, shows up at Seattle Grace-Mercy West with a hernia, it's up to Alex to get Bailey's approval for his pro bono surgery. Matters are further complicated when Aaron discloses that his family has not heard from Alex since he arrived in Seattle, and parts of Alex's past long kept secret are revealed to his friends and fellow doctors.
Full Summary Edit
Episode in detail.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber
- Sara Ramírez as Dr. Callie Torres
- Eric Dane as Dr. Mark Sloan
- Chyler Leigh as Dr. Lexie Grey
- Kevin McKidd as Dr. Owen Hunt
- Jessica Capshaw as Dr. Arizona Robbins
- Kim Raver as Dr. Teddy Altman
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd
- Michael O'Neill as Gary Clark
- Sarah Drew as Dr. April Kepner
- Jesse Williams as Dr. Jackson Avery
- Wendy Raquel Robinson as Gina Thompson
- Leven Rambin as Sloan Riley
- Jake McLaughlin as Aaron Karev
- David Ramsey as Jimmy Thompson
|"You're Not Stubborn"||Two Door Cinema Club||
|"I Found You"||Luluc||
Notes and Trivia Edit
- This episode's title originated from the song Sympathy for the Parents, originally sung by Marilyn Manson.
- This episode scored 9.87 million viewers, the first time in the show's history that an episode failed to top 10 million viewers.
- The episode sets up and foreshadows the shooting that befalls Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital at the end of the sixth season.
- Mr. and Mrs. Clark are introduced, setting up Gary Clark's rage that leads to the shooting.
- While Callie is in the OR in a surgery one the policewoman, she remarks, "Could you imagine going to work everyday knowing you're going to end up on the wrong side of a gun?" Assuming that the finale shooting had already been outlined with the introduction of Mr. Clark, this line could have been added to foreshadow events to come.
- Meredith: Well, you're looking all thoughtful.
- Derek: I was just thinking of how pretty you are. (Meredith smiles) And how pretty our children will be. (Meredith's smile fades)
- Meredith: Children? Like, multiple?
- Derek: Child. Let's just start with one and see how it goes.
- Meredith: You wanna start?
- Derek: I'm just sayin' you're pretty. That's all I'm saying.
- Meredith: Alex? So, okay, Izzie's not here and Cristina's not answering her phone and I have a thing, so I need you to be a girl for me.
- Alex: What'd he do? You want me to kick his ass?
- Meredith: He wants me to have a baby.
- Alex: So you do want me to kick his ass?
- Meredith: Alex.
- Alex: Do you wanna have a baby?
- Meredith: A baby doesn't want me. I had the worst mother in the world. I would be the worst mother in the world.
- Alex: Izzie wants a divorce. She sent the papers. The official papers.
- Meredith: You want me to kick her ass?
- Derek (walks in): Hey, Alex... (sees Meredith) Hey.
- Meredith: He's being a girl for me.
- Alex: Dude, it's true.
- Derek: Right. There's a guy downstrairs who says he's your brother. Do you want me to send him up here to the bathroom since this seems to be where you receive your visitors?
- Cristina: Owen's still in his dark place and he's still not talking. So I turned off my cell in case he wanted to say something, which he didn't. I hate men. They're stupid.
- Meredith: Derek asked me to have a baby with him this morning.
- Cristina: Really stupid.
|Grey's Anatomy Season 6|
|#01||"Good Mourning"||#09||"New History"||#17||"Push"|
|#02||"Goodbye"||#10||"Holidaze"||#18||"Suicide is Painless"|
|#03||"I Always Feel Like Somebody's Watchin' Me"||#11||"Blink"||#19||"Sympathy for the Parents"|
|#04||"Tainted Obligation"||#12||"I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked"||#20||"Hook, Line and Sinner"|
|#05||"Invasion"||#13||"State of Love and Trust"||#21||"How Insensitive"|
|#06||"I Saw What I Saw"||#14||"Valentine's Day Massacre"||#22||"Shiny Happy People"|
|#07||"Give Peace a Chance”"||#15||"The Time Warp"||#23||"Sanctuary"|
|#08||"Invest in Love"||#16||"Perfect Little Accident"||#24||"Death and All His Friends"|
|<< Season 5||Season 7 >>|