|“||Many people don't know that the human eye has a blind spot in its field of vision. There is a part of the world that we are literally blind to. The problem is, sometimes our blind spots shield us from things that really shouldn't be ignored. Sometimes our blind spots keep our lives bright and shiny. When it comes to our blind spots, maybe our brains aren't compensating. Maybe they're protecting us.||”|
Meredith tries optimism, and vows to be "bright and shiny." Addison and Derek try "peacefully coexisting", and confront Dr. Webber about his depression and problems with his marriage. George continues to be skeptical about Burke's ability to operate, after seeing Cristina perform a complicated surgery and refuse the credit. George's father is admitted to the hospital. Izzie shadows Alex, who is on Sloan's service.
Episode in detail.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang
- Katherine Heigl as Dr. Izzie Stevens
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
- T.R. Knight as Dr. George O'Malley
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber
- Kate Walsh as Dr. Addison Montgomery
- Sara Ramírez as Dr. Callie Torres
- Eric Dane as Dr. Mark Sloan
- Isaiah Washington as Dr. Preston Burke
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd
- George Dzundza as Harold O'Malley
- Myndy Crist as Diane Hanson
- Greg Pitts as Jerry O'Malley
- Tim Griffin as Ronny O'Malley
- Matt Winston as Frank Jeffries
- Paul Cassell as John Hanson
- Annie Campbell as Anna
- Steven W. Bailey as Joe
- Kate Burton as Ellis Grey
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Residential care
Meredith was informed that Ellis hadn't been eating. When Richard brought her a treat, she started eating it right away.
- Fractured clavicle
- Stage III metastatic esophageal cancer
- Leaking aortic valve
Harold had passed out and broken his clavicle. Callie had treated his clavicle break and said he would be okay, but they ran more tests to figure out why he had fallen, including an endoscopy and a biopsy, which revealed that he had esophageal cancer, which had spread to his stomach. He also had heart abnormalities, so they ran more tests to see if his heart was strong enough to support the surgery. He had a leaking aortic valve, so they scheduled a valve replacement before his cancer surgery.
Burke and Cristina operated on a patient together.
- Crush injuries
- Blunt trauma to the head
- Skull fracture
- Brain bleed
Mia, 5, was brought to the ER after being backed over by her mother's SUV. She had crush injuries to her abdomen and blunt trauma to her head. After a CT, she was taken into surgery. Her injuries were repaired and an MRI was ordered for her skull fracture. She was bleeding in her brain, so they had to take her back in for surgery.
- Pectoral implants
Frank was post-op day three from pectoral enhancement via implants. He had fluid build-up under the skin, so he had a tube placed to drain the fluid. They were able to remove the tube and he was told the swelling would go down in a few days.
|"Everybody Get Movin'"||Get Set Go||
|"God Bless the Child"||Chandra Wilson||
|"Not Big"||Lily Allen||
|"Time of My Life"||The Watson Twins||
|"Where We Gonna Go From Here"||Mat Kearney||
Notes and TriviaEdit
- This episode's title originated from the song Staring At the Sun, originally sung by TV on the Radio.
- This episode scored 20.92 million viewers.
- Chandra Wilson sings "God Bless the Child" in this episode, making her the first cast member to sing a song on the show. Many cast members will follow.
- Spoiler: The last scene with Meredith and Ellis, when Meredith informs Ellis that Richard will no longer visit her, assumes that the latter's breakdown was about the former, when in fact, the daughter that Ellis was referring is actually Maggie, whose existence is not revealed until the end of the season 10 finale Fear (of the Unknown), and further explored in season 11.
- Mark: There you are! What, did you go all the way to New York for my pastrami?
- Alex: Extra spicy, extra lettuce, light on the mayo.
- Addison: Mark, what are you doing?
- Mark: Lunch. Want my pickle?
- Addison: Seattle Grace is a teaching hospital, part of your job is to teach, your interns aren't your slaves.
- Mark: Fine, no pickle for you!
A complete overview of this episode's crew can be found here.
|Grey's Anatomy Season 3|
|#01||"Time Has Come Today"||#10||"Don't Stand So Close to Me"||#19||"My Favorite Mistake"|
|#02||"I Am a Tree"||#11||"Six Days, Part 1"||#20||"Time After Time"|
|#03||"Sometimes a Fantasy"||#12||"Six Days, Part 2"||#21||"Desire"|
|#04||"What I Am"||#13||"Great Expectations"||#22||"The Other Side of This Life, Part 1"|
|#05||"Oh, the Guilt"||#14||"Wishin' and Hopin'"||#23||"The Other Side of This Life, Part 2"|
|#06||"Let the Angels Commit"||#15||"Walk on Water"||#24||"Testing 1-2-3"|
|#07||"Where the Boys Are"||#16||"Drowning on Dry Land"||#25||"Didn't We Almost Have It All?"|
|#08||"Staring at the Sun"||#17||"Some Kind of Miracle"|
|#09||"From a Whisper to a Scream"||#18||"Scars and Souvenirs"|
|<< Season 2||Season 4 >>|