|Something's Gotta Give|
|Season 7, episode 8|
|Callie and Mark having fun at Cristina's housewarming party.|
November 11, 2010
|“||The human body is a highly pressurized system. The blood pressure measures the force of blood, pulsating through the arteries. It's important to keep this pressure regulated. Low or inadequate pressure can cause weakness or failure. It's when the pressure gets too high... that problems really occur. If the pressure continues to increase, a closer examination is called for... Because it's the best indicator that something is going terribly wrong. Every pressurized system needs a relief valve. There has to be a way to reduce the stress, the tension, before it becomes too much to bear. There has to be a way to find relief, because if the pressure doesn't find a way out... it'll make one. It will explode. It's the pressure we put on ourselves... that's the hardest to bear. The pressure to be better than we are. The pressure to be better than we think we can be. It never ever lets up. It just builds and builds and builds.||”|
Top security measures go into place as a team of doctors, led by the Chief, try to save the life of a major political figure from the Middle East. Meanwhile, Cristina decides to finally decorate her new place and throw a housewarming party, and Alex shows up late from a weekend getaway to his first day of rounds with the new Pediatrics Attending, Dr. Robert Stark.
Episode in detail.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber
- Sara Ramírez as Dr. Callie Torres
- Eric Dane as Dr. Mark Sloan
- Chyler Leigh as Dr. Lexie Grey
- Kevin McKidd as Dr. Owen Hunt
- Jessica Capshaw as Dr. Arizona Robbins (credit only)
- Kim Raver as Dr. Teddy Altman
- Sarah Drew as Dr. April Kepner
- Jesse Williams as Dr. Jackson Avery
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd
- Bridget Sienna as Mrs. Cortez
- Philip Shahbaz as Arab Translator
- Bob Rumnock as ND Doctor
- Terrell Lee as Diplomatic Security Guard
- Dalila Ali Rajah as Leanne
- Michael Medico as Martin
- Anthony Batarse as Emir's Aid 1
- Ammar Daraiseh as Aide
- Mike Kersey as Sales Clerk
- Maz Siam as Emir's Chief of Staff
- Sabin Rich as Hairstylist
- Teresa Huang as VIP Nurse
- Rachel Andersen as Peds Nurse
- Michael Brouillet as Secret Service Agent
- Miles Elliot as Boy
Alex took the temperature of a kid. He was afebrile.
- Biliary atresia
- Liver transplant
A liver became available for Lisa Collis, an infant. Because the donor was an adult, the liver was split between Lisa and another patient. When Stark went to implant the lier, it didn't fit into her abdomen and was compressing her hepatic artery. Stark put a sponge in to relieve the pressure and wrapped her abdomen. The hope was that the swelling would go down and they'd be able to fit the rest of her liver inside her body. However, a sponge was not an ideal solution as it would start to break down, possibly leading to liver death. Alex had the idea to use a ping-pong ball instead of a sponge, as it wouldn't break down and it could be left in her body, as her liver would just grow around it. Stark initially rejected Alex's idea and chastised him for thinking of that rather than doing Stark's post-ops. However, Stark took Lisa back into surgery and placed the ping-pong ball.
- Coronary artery dissection
- Cerebral aneurysm
- Balloon pump
The Emir was in a car accident after leaving a meeting. As no one was supposed to know that he was in the country, he was kept in the VIP treatment area of the hospital, isolated from other patients and non-essential doctors. Aasif gave the doctors his medical history as they worked as his medical records were all in Arabic. The Emir had a tear in his coronary artery and Teddy had to do open-heart surgery to fix it. When Aasif told Meredith that the Emir had been diagnosed with an unruptured cerebral aneurysm in his left temporal lobe, Derek was called in. By then, he had a blown pupil. Scans revealed that his aneurysm had blown and his brain was bleeding. He was taken into surgery so Teddy could fix his heart and Derek could fix his brain. When Teddy went to check on him after his surgery, she found that he'd already been put on a plane back home.
- Chronic pancreatitis
- Pancreatic fistula
- Ruptured splenic artery
Mrs. Cortez was re-admitted to the hospital after having surgery on her pancreas. She was discovered to have a pancreatic fistula. Richard inserted a drain to remove the pancreatic fluid. She had a minor fever, so Jackson was assigned to watch her very closely. When she became unstable, Jackson was told to take her into an OR and open her back up. By the time Bailey arrived to help, Jackson was calling time of death.
Alex mentioned that his brother, Aaron, had been diagnosed with schizophrenia like their mother has. He tried to kill their younger sister with a knife. Alex had to go to a hearing to have his brother committed.
|"Shouldn't Have Loved"||Azure Ray||
|"Could It Be"||Mackintosh Braun||
|"Sing Me To Sleep"||Fran Healy feat. Neko Case||
Notes and TriviaEdit
- This episode's title originated from the song Something's Gotta Give, originally sung by Sammy Davis, Jr..
- This episode scored 11.13 million viewers.
- This is the first episode not to feature Jessica Capshaw since she was made a series regular at the start of Season 6.
- This episode marks Nurse Carol's first appearance.
Behind the ScenesEdit
- Meredith: (to Alex) You smell like you're sweating booze, where have you been?
- Jackson: I want the weekend you had.
- Alex: Well, what happens in Vegas, you know? Hey, who's Stark? I'm supposed to be on Stark's service today.
- April: Oh, me, too. He's the new peds attending. Since Robbins left.
- Alex: Crap. I can't handle a bunch of sick kids today, I can't do it.
- April: (about Jackson) He thinks no one wants to work with him.
- Lexie: Are they saying that or are you saying that?
- Jackson: (to April) Who are you with again?
- April: Karev. Uh... I mean, Stark.
- Jackson: No, you meant Karev. And, you don't wanna go there.
- April: You don't know where I'm going.
- Lexie: He's right. You don't wanna go there.
- April: I'm.. I'm not going anywhere.
- Lexie: He's not the guy for you, okay? Trust me. And don't be paranoid, trust me on that, too.
- (walks off; Jackson watches her go)
- April: Ooh, but it's okay for you to go there.
- Jackson: I'm a guy. I live there.
- Robert Stark: (to Alex) So, you must be Dr. Karev. You missed my rounds today.
- Alex: Uh, sorry. I had car trouble.
- Robert Stark: Ah, well, there's a classic. So, what you're here just kinda yell at my patients and...
- Alex: I'm sorry. Look, uh, Dr. Stark, I'm feeling very sick today so I think that since you know, you have Kepner...
- Robert Stark: Well, let's see here. No fever, you don't seem to be vomiting, you retaining control of your bowels?
- April: Ew.
- Alex: Yes.
- Robert Stark: Well, since hangovers are not contagious, I'd say you're working.
- Meredith: The last thing that Cristina wants is to talk to me. We just have to give her some space.
- Owen: We don't have time to give her space. She'll be locked out of this program, and I do not believe that is what she wants. I mean, you think that's what she wants? (Meredith is silent) I'm asking you, Grey.
A complete overview of this episode's crew can be found here.
|Grey's Anatomy Season 7|
|#01||"With You I'm Born Again"||#09||"Slow Night, So Long"||#17||"This is How We Do It"|
|#02||"Shock to the System"||#10||"Adrift and at Peace"||#18||"Song Beneath the Song"|
|#03||"Superfreak"||#11||"Disarm"||#19||"It's a Long Way Back"|
|#04||"Can't Fight Biology"||#12||"Start Me Up"||#20||"White Wedding"|
|#05||"Almost Grown"||#13||"Don't Deceive Me (Please Don't Go)"||#21||"I Will Survive"|
|#06||"These Arms of Mine"||#14||"P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)"||#22||"Unaccompanied Minor"|
|#07||"That's Me Trying"||#15||"Golden Hour"|
|#08||"Something's Gotta Give"||#16||"Not Responsible"|
|<< Season 6||Season 8 >>|