|“||There are medical miracles. Being worshippers of the altar of science, we don't like to believe miracles exist. But they do. Things happen. We can't explain them, we can't control them, but they do happen. Miracles do happen in medicine. They happen everyday, just not always when we need them to happen. At the end of a day like this, a day when so many prayers are answered and so many aren’t, we take our miracles where we find them. We reach across the gap and sometimes, against all odds, against all logic, we touch.||”|
Meredith fights to stay alive, as Derek fights to hold himself together. Cristina is unable to handle the reality of the situation and leaves.
Meredith awakes in an afterlife version of the trauma room. There she meets Denny Duquette; Dylan Young; her mother's scrub nurse, Elizabeth Fallon; and a former patient of hers, Bonnie Crasnoff, who died.
Meredith won't accept that she is dead and shuts Denny and Dylan up. She says, if this was her afterlife the person she wishes to see the most is her former dog, Doc. Doc appears and Meredith cheerfully welcomes him. After that Denny and the others try to make Meredith understand that she has not much time and has to decide if she wants to die or not. Meredith doesn't want to listen to them. Shortly after that, Bonnie starts to bleed out and "dies".
Meanwhile, in the real world, The Chief, Dr. Bailey and Dr. Burke try to resuscitate her without success. They all are wondering if they should stop, but then Richard reminds them that Meredith is not dead until she is warm and dead, so they try to warm her up with warm IV fluids and blankets. During the warming process, Addison enters the room and looks at Meredith with surprise and disbelief of the situation and she whispers that Meredith couldn't do that to Derek. After Addison is paged away to Jane Doe, she finds Derek sitting in the hallway and gives him a summary of the things happening.
In the meantime, Cristina goes out on a shopping spree and ends up in Joe's Bar and starts drinking. When Joe asks why she isn't at the hospital saving people, Cristina answers him that she is coping. At the same time, Derek is wandering around in the hospital and ends up in Ellis Grey's room, where he yells at her that she has broken her daughter. He only stops after Addison interrupts him.
Meanwhile, in the afterlife, Meredith talks to Denny. After a while, Meredith admits to him and herself that she, while drowning in the bay, didn't see the sense in living anymore. After Denny talks to her about the feeling of being dead, Meredith realizes that she actually wants to live. After that recognition, water starts floating in to the trauma room and Meredith realizes that she is out of time.
After a while, Preston enters the bar and talks to Cristina about Meredith, the bond they share, and the guilt she'll feel if she does not go back to the hospital. After that conversation, Burke gets paged and leaves Cristina to think about that. At the same time, Ellis starts to crash, so Derek enters the room again and starts to resuscitate her. In the trauma room, Richard, Preston, and Miranda recognize that Meredith is now warm and still has no heart beat. They are ready to give up, but then Cristina enters the room and asks if they can try it one more time.
In the afterlife, Denny and Meredith look at the corridor and see Ellis and they both enter the hallway. Denny pushes her to go to her mother and towards the gurney. In the middle of the hallway, Ellis and Meredith meet for a final time. After their last conversation, Meredith starts to run towards the trauma room and lies down on a gurney in it. In the real life, the doctors start one last round of medication and defibrillation. When they are ready to give up, Bailey sees activity on the heart monitor. Bailey shocks Meredith one last time. After that, she flatlines and a short time later, her heart starts beating again. A short while after that, the doctors are able to get rid of the breathing tube and Meredith starts breathing on her own.
Addison enters the room and asks Bailey if she has informed Derek yet. Bailey answers that she didn't, because she wanted to give Meredith more time to wake up. After that, Bailey and Addison leave the room. Cristina stays at Meredith's side and begs her to be okay. A few minutes later, Meredith starts to wake up, at first only making sounds, not words. Cristina says to her that she cannot understand her and demands that she should just try again. Meredith's first word after that is "ouch." Then Cristina starts blurting out that she's going to marry Burke and that she wanted to tell that Meredith all day. At the same time, all of Meredith's friends are standing in the hallway and seeing with joy that Meredith is okay.
Meredith now has her own room in the ICU. While she is sleeping there, Derek is sitting by her side. After Meredith wakes up, Derek tries to explain to her that her mother is dead. Meredith interrupts him and says that she already knows and that it is okay. Outside the room, Addison mentions to Mark that Derek never loved her the way he loves Meredith. Mark replies that he would love her in this manner. Addison doesn't believe him. To prove that he does really mean it, she demands that Mark stay of sex for 60 days. Mark demands the same from her.
Alex visits his Jane Doe, and says that while no one has claimed her yet, they did find out a lot about her today. He says that her heart is healthy, that her blood type is B+, she has excelled cholesterol levels, is not diabetic, does not have "smokers lungs" and doesn't drink alcohol in the mornings. She is about 32 years old, and her baby is a girl.
In the clinic, Bailey thanks Sydney for holding down the fort. She replies by saying what Bailey did to save Meredith will give Sydney some real competition in the run for Chief Resident.
In the locker room, Izzie and George are talking. Izzie says she let George down, and that she gets that he doesn't trust her right now, but she pleads with him that "Please George. It's me. It's us. Please." George then gets up and walks away.
In another part of the hospital, Richard says his final goodbyes to Ellis.
Meredith is shown sleeping in her ICU bed, Derek by her side.
Izzie and Denny "pass" in the hallway.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang
- Katherine Heigl as Dr. Izzie Stevens
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
- T.R. Knight as Dr. George O'Malley
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber
- Kate Walsh as Dr. Addison Montgomery
- Sara Ramírez as Dr. Callie Torres
- Eric Dane as Dr. Mark Sloan
- Isaiah Washington as Dr. Preston Burke
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd
Special Guest StarEdit
- Elizabeth Reaser as Jane Doe
- Anna Maria Horsford as Elizabeth Fallon
- Monica Keena as Bonnie Crasnoff
- Kali Rocha as Dr. Sydney Heron
- Steven W. Bailey as Joe
- Sarah Utterback as Nurse Olivia Harper
- Kate Burton as Ellis Grey
- Attempted resuscitation
- Gastric lavage
- Cardio-pulmonary bypass
Meredith's temp was up to 86°. They continued to warm her and attempt resuscitation. There was no movement in her heart. They then did cardio-pulmonary bypass. Once her temp was up, they tried again to restart her heart. When they were unsuccessful, they prepared to give up, but then they saw ventricular fibrillation on the monitor, so they shocked her, but she went back to asystole. Bailey turned her pacer up to max and continued to look for signs of life. When they gave up, Cristina came in and asked them to try one more time. They did and Meredith was successfully resuscitated. They were concerned about her brain function with as long as she'd been down, but she woke up and said, "Ow."
- Facial injuries
- Memory loss
The pregnant Jane Doe had no memory of anything before the accident. Addison was worried about her lungs, so she ordered some tests.
- Attempted resuscitation
Ellis was freaking out, so Mark ordered lorazepam to calm her down. Later, she became unstable and despite Derek's best efforts, she was unable to be resuscitated.
Derek talked to a man in the waiting room whose wife was hit by a car on the ferry in the accident.
|"Sleep Don't Weep"||Damien Rice||
Notes and TriviaEdit
- This episode's title originated from the song Some Kind of Miracle, originally sung by Kelly Clarkson.
- This episode scored 27.39 million viewers, making it the most watched episode in the show's history.
- Goof: In this episode, Meredith states that Elizabeth Fallon died of liver cancer, but in No Man's Land, Elizabeth had a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer.
- Goof: As a doctor, Derek should have known that being a good swimmer wouldn't be enough for Meredith to get out of such cold water. Combined with the exhaustion of attending to the injured, the clenching of her body would have made it nearly impossible for Meredith to keep herself afloat--let alone swim back to the dock.
- Meredith: I was swimming. I was fighting. And then I thought, just for a second, I thought "What’s the point?’ And then I let go. I stopped fighting. Don’t tell anybody."
- Denny: Okay
- Meredith: What?
- Denny: Izzie.
- Meredith: You can see her?
- Denny: No. Sometimes we’d be at the same place at exactly the same time and I can almost hear her voice. It’s like I’m touching her. I like to believe she knows I’m there. That’s all you get. That’s it. Moments with the people you love. And they’ll move on and you’ll want them to move on. But still, Meredith, that’s all you get. Moments.
- Meredith: Is this really happening?
- Denny: I don’t know. This is your afterlife, not mine.
- Denny: What happened in that water?
- Meredith: I swam, I fought.
- Denny: No, you didn't, and you can't stay here, Meredith.
- Meredith: I don't want to!
- Denny: Yeah, you do. It's easier, but you can't. Because George's Dad died, because Izzie lost me, and Cristina, when she was nine she was in a car accident with her Father and he bled out right in front of her while they waited for an ambulance to arrive, and Alex...
- Meredith: Stop!
- Denny: They are barely breathing, this will break them, and none of them deserves that. And this, this is the big one, so you pay attention. Do you know what kind of miracle it is that Derek is who he is? Do you know how rare it is that someone like him even exists? He's still an optimist. He still believes in true love and magic and soul mates. He's waiting for you, and if you don't come back from this...you will change who he is.
- Meredith: Oh, God...
- Ellis: You shouldn´t be here.
- Meredith: Neither should you.
- Ellis: Just keep going, don´t be a damn... [hugs her] You are ... You are anything but ordinary. Now run. Run!
- Cristina: Did you just say something? Did you just speak? Oh, Meredith.... okay, Mer I can´t understand you. Just try .... try again, try again for me, okay?
- Meredith: mumbles something unrecognizable
- Cristina: What? I can´t... come on, please... please don´t be....
- Cristina: (with pressure) Your brain works, okay? So all you need to do is form a word. Please.
- Meredith: (pause) Ouch.
- Cristina: (crying and laughing) Oh... hi! I'm getting married to Burke! Not that that should be anywhere on your list of thoughts right now, but just in case you slip it in the hall later... you are the one person I wanted to tell.
- Addison: You know, sometimes I think what a waste it is to throw away all this history.
- Mark: I'm a flawed and I'm a ... a wreck, but you ... it wasn´t a game.
- Addison: 60 days. Go 60 days with no sex, no other women. You go 60 days cold turkey and maybe ... I´ll believe you.
- Mark: So I only have sex with you?
- Addison: No, no sex with anyone. Grow up, Mark. Find another way to scratch the itch.
- Mark: Say I do, you'll give us another try? A real try, the couple thing, no sneaking around, no booty calls?
- Addison: If you make it, yes.
- Mark: Okay, we're on. Oh, and Addison, if I´m not having sex, neither are you.
- Addison: Who would I possibly be having sex with?
A complete overview of this episode's crew can be found here.
|Grey's Anatomy Season 3|
|#01||"Time Has Come Today"||#10||"Don't Stand So Close to Me"||#19||"My Favorite Mistake"|
|#02||"I Am a Tree"||#11||"Six Days, Part 1"||#20||"Time After Time"|
|#03||"Sometimes a Fantasy"||#12||"Six Days, Part 2"||#21||"Desire"|
|#04||"What I Am"||#13||"Great Expectations"||#22||"The Other Side of This Life, Part 1"|
|#05||"Oh, the Guilt"||#14||"Wishin' and Hopin'"||#23||"The Other Side of This Life, Part 2"|
|#06||"Let the Angels Commit"||#15||"Walk on Water"||#24||"Testing 1-2-3"|
|#07||"Where the Boys Are"||#16||"Drowning on Dry Land"||#25||"Didn't We Almost Have It All?"|
|#08||"Staring at the Sun"||#17||"Some Kind of Miracle"|
|#09||"From a Whisper to a Scream"||#18||"Scars and Souvenirs"|
|<< Season 2||Season 4 >>|