|Shiny Happy People|
|Season 6, episode 22|
|Alex has come up with the right diagnosis for a girl who has been diagnosed wrongly with schizophrenia.|
May 13, 2010
- "It's a common belief that positive thinking leads to a happier healthier life. As children we are told to smile, be cheerful, and put on a happy face. As adults we are told to look on the bright side, to make lemonade, and see glasses as half full. Sometimes reality can get in the way of our ability to act the happy part though. Your health can fail, boyfriends can cheat, friends can disappoint. It's in these moments, when you just want to get real, to drop the act, and be your true scared unhappy self. Ask most people what they want out of life and the answer is simple - to be happy. Maybe it's this expectation though of wanting to be happy that just keeps us from ever getting there. Maybe the more we try to will ourselves to states of bliss, the more confused we get - to the point where we don't recognize ourselves. Instead we just keep smiling - trying like hell to be the happy people we wish we were. Until eventually it hits us, it's been there all along. Not in our dreams or our hopes but in the known, the comfortable, the familiar."
- —Meredith Grey
An elderly patient admitted into the E.R. for a heart condition sees a familiar face, a long lost love who happens to be in the E.R. as well for a fractured arm, and the staff find themselves caught up in their love story. Meanwhile, Karev treats a troubled teenage patient (guest star Demi Lovato) whose parents brought her in for schizophrenia, and Meredith can't help but tell Cristina about her suspicions of Owen -- which inevitably messes with Cristina's head.
Full Summary Edit
It was party time for the doctors and there was a whole lot of hooking up going on. Alex told Lexie he likes her ass fat. Meredith gave Hunt the cold shoulder. Callie longed for Arizona. Hunt asked Cristina to move in with him. She accepted, but she was four martinis in, which impaired her judgment. Reed took a shot at Sloan, telling him she was "inspired" by his work, and he gave her some real inspiration.
Elsewhere, Bailey and Dr. Warren, the anesthesiologist, were getting it on. She warned him not to flirt or make references to having seen her naked at work. They got it on. Back at Sloan's apartment, Teddy came in while Sloan was in the shower. She began undressing -- because that's what folks do on "Grey's" -- and she discovered Reed in his bed. Sloan came out of the showed, laughed, and said, "Wow. Well, this could be fun if we decide to let it."
Meredith told Cristina she thought there could be something going on between Hunt and Teddy. Teddy joked to Arizona about the situation at Sloan's apartment, but she was fine with it because they weren't dating exclusively. Hunt came up and offered to say something to Sloan, which Cristina overheard, but Teddy said she didn't need him to defend her honor. Lexie overheard all of this, then scoffed as she saw Reed walking around.
Callie worked on an elderly woman who was on the phone trying to convince her son she wasn't seriously hurt. Another elderly man was in the E.R. being treated after a fall on a cruise ship. He looked across and saw the other older woman. They knew each other and talked about how their spouses had passed away.
Bailey was humming in the elevator with Sloan and Derek. Bailey got out and Dr. Warren came into the elevator humming the same tune.
"Go Bailey," Sloan said.
"Indeed," Derek replied.
Alex came upon a teenage girl named Haley who tried to claw her eyes out, and was muttering, "I'm not crazy." Her parents said they were having her committed. She grabbed a syringe and threatened to stab herself in the heart with it. Alex convinced her she should put it down and let him run some tests on her to find out what was wrong. He asked someone to page Derek.
Haley's parents told Alex their daughter was schizophrenic, but Derek said it was possible something was missed in the diagnosis.
Sloan treated a woman who suffered burns to her face while trapped under a car. Her hair and tissue replacement procedure sounded simple enough, but Meredith noticed something wrong with her hands and the doctors wanted to go X-rays.
The elderly man and woman told their respective doctors the story of how they knew each other and fell in love before they married other people, but they didn't reveal their love because of the scandal it would have caused. They loved the people they ended up with, but something always seemed to be missing. Webber put them in the same room. Cristina came with X-rays about the man (Henry) showing his heart needed some work. Webber decided to give them an hour to catch up. Teddy agreed, saying she was a romantic. Hunt chuckled.
Derek, Alex and Arizona checked Haley's X-ray's, but they showed nothing. Alex didn't want to believe there was nothing else wrong with her, and Derek gave him four hours to figure out another diagnosis.
Lexie asked Alex what they are, and he kissed her. He said, "We're a thing."
In surgery, Hunt and Teddy chatted in shorthand that Webber compared to what he once had with Ellis Grey. Cristina didn't seem to like this. At lunch, Cristina refused to eat with Meredith. Finally, she did, and Cristina asked Meredith if she was "Thatcher" in the equation where Hunt was Webber and Teddy was Ellis Grey.
Alex ran a test on Haley, based on a tip from Lexie on a medical journal article she'd read, and it seemed to work.
Bailey saw what appeared to be Dr. Warren flirting with a nurse and she seemed shaken and walked away.
Sloan told his hair-replacement surgery patient that her fingers were infected and would need to be cut off. She was upset by this.
Derek and Alex told Haley's parents about the diagnosis. Their daughter had a small hole in her inner ear, which made her extra sensitive to sound and she wasn't schizophrenic.
Bailey asked Sloan if Teddy was disappointing sexually, and why one woman didn't seem to be enough. Sloan asked her if she and her "guy" were exclusive. Bailey said, "We're not talking about me," and left.
Henry, the older man, asked Betty to come live with him. She held his hand and said she got over him, and now she has her own children and grandchildren that give her joy. Then she was wheeled away.
In surgery, Sloan was looking for "a little magic" with his patient, so he decided to do the hair restoration after cutting off his patient's fingers.
Cristina asked Meredith if her mom always loved Webber, and Meredith said, "My mom loved Richard until the day she died." Meredith told Cristina she couldn't say any more about Hunt and Teddy because of Derek's involvement.
Meredith, inspired by seeing her patient be "real" with her best friend," went to Hunt and told him that Cristina loves him and said she wanted to punch him in the face. She told him she knew that he tried to have Teddy fired and she believed it was because he loves Teddy. She said he should tell Cristina, if he really is the good guy that Cristina thinks he is, "and if you don't you'll know and I'll know that you are not that guy."
Callie told Sloan to go talk to Lexie because he didn't want to end up 50 years later wishing he didn't let the love of his life get away.
Hunt told Cristina about Teddy's contract and what he told Derek. He told her he didn't know what he felt for Teddy, "but I do know what I feel for you." He didn't want to have to explain himself to Cristina or to Meredith. The shouting match took place with Teddy at the bottom of the stairwell. It was Henry.
After a bit of a scare, Henry was alright. Betty was upset with him for scaring her and said she was going to move across the country to live with him. Cristina walked out and ignored Hunt calling out for her.
Haley awoke from her inner-ear surgery and said, "I'm good." She repeated it a few times just so we knew for sure.
Warren explained to Bailey that he flirts with Liz, the meanest nurse on his floor, because she makes his job easier. But he breaks out his A game for Bailey. He told her he wasn't playing games and was "in this for real." They got into the elevator together and held hands.
Alex thanked Lexie for her help, and after he walked away Sloan came up and told her he was still in love with her and wanted another chance.
She told him, "I have a boyfriend."
"I know," he told her. "I'm just saying, you could have a husband."
Callie and Arizona stepped into an elevator together and before they said much of anything, they kissed. Arizona got out and walked away.
That night, Cristina came and crawled into bed with Meredith (Derek went to the kitchen). She said she wasn't moving in with Owen. Meredith told her she could have a room in her and Derek's new house in the woods.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber
- Sara Ramírez as Dr. Callie Torres
- Eric Dane as Dr. Mark Sloan
- Chyler Leigh as Dr. Lexie Grey
- Kevin McKidd as Dr. Owen Hunt
- Jessica Capshaw as Dr. Arizona Robbins
- Kim Raver as Dr. Teddy Altman
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd
- Marion Ross as Betty Donahue
- Demi Lovato as Hayley May
- Jason George as Dr. Ben Warren
- Sarah Drew as Dr. April Kepner
- Jesse Williams as Dr. Jackson Avery
- Nora Zehetner as Dr. Reed Adamson
- Alan Mandell as Henry Stamm
- Emily Bergl as Trisha
- Austin Highsmith as Amber Courier
- Amy Farrington as Mary May
- Jonathan Goldstein as Ken May
- Gloria Garayua as Intern Graciella
- Mark Saul as Dr. Steve Mostow
- Regi Davis as Dr. Kevin Fisher
- Denice Sealy as Nurse McKee
|"Do You Fancy Me? (Bluff)"||Kerry Leatham||
|"Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing"||Chandra Wilson and Jason George||
|"American Stitches"||Richard Walters||
|"Shiny and Warm"||Goldfrapp||
|"Open Your Eyes"||Andrew Belle||
Notes and Trivia Edit
- This episode's title originated from the song Shiny Happy People, originally sung by R.E.M.
- This episode scored 11.05 million viewers.
- Mark: Lex, I'm still in love with you. I tried not to be, but it didn't work. And Sloane's gone. There's no baby. And I don't wanna sleep around. I want another chance. I'm in love with you.
- Lexie: Karev... he's... Mark, I have a boyfriend.
- Mark: I know. I'm saying you could have a husband.
|Grey's Anatomy Season 6|
|#01||"Good Mourning"||#09||"New History"||#17||"Push"|
|#02||"Goodbye"||#10||"Holidaze"||#18||"Suicide is Painless"|
|#03||"I Always Feel Like Somebody's Watchin' Me"||#11||"Blink"||#19||"Sympathy for the Parents"|
|#04||"Tainted Obligation"||#12||"I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked"||#20||"Hook, Line and Sinner"|
|#05||"Invasion"||#13||"State of Love and Trust"||#21||"How Insensitive"|
|#06||"I Saw What I Saw"||#14||"Valentine's Day Massacre"||#22||"Shiny Happy People"|
|#07||"Give Peace a Chance”"||#15||"The Time Warp"||#23||"Sanctuary"|
|#08||"Invest in Love"||#16||"Perfect Little Accident"||#24||"Death and All His Friends"|
|<< Season 5||Season 7 >>|