|Season 1||Season 2||Season 3||Season 4||Season 5||Season 6||Season 7||Season 8||Season 9||Season 10||Season 11|
|The promo picture of the season 6 main cast, Kim Raver excluded.|
|No. of episodes||
September 24, 2009 - May 20, 2010
September 14, 2010
December 5, 2011
November 3, 2010
The sixth season of Grey's Anatomy premiered September 24, 2009 and ended May 20, 2010. It was broadcast on Thursday nights at 9 PM on ABC. The season consists of 24 episodes, both starting and ending with two-part episodes.
Expect more competition, more doctors, and much more drama as Seattle Grace merges with a competing hospital. Meredith, Derek, Izzie, and the rest of the doctors face a brand new challenge with the arrival of doctors from Mercy West. Battle lines are drawn and rivalries reach new heights in an unforgettable year at Seattle Grace.
The season chronicles...
- Derek's ascension to Chief of Surgery
- The death of George O'Malley, his funeral, and how his fellow surgeons deal with him being dead.
- Callie and Arizona's struggles in their relationship.
- Izzie abandoning Alex.
- Mark discovering he has a daughter who is pregnant, and helping her when she's in labor.
- Mark and Lexie breaking up.
- Lexie and Alex having a one-night stand and eventually starting to date.
- Bailey prepping the team with mandatory sensitivity training prior to admitting a 700-pound patient with compounded medical issues.
- Teddy and Mark having a brief relationship.
- Cristina and Owen's relationship problems, caused by Teddy.
- Gary Clark going on a murderous rampage at the hospital.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang
- Katherine Heigl as Dr. Izzie Stevens (credited until Suicide is Painless)
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber
- Sara Ramírez as Dr. Callie Torres
- Eric Dane as Dr. Mark Sloan
- Chyler Leigh as Dr. Lexie Grey
- Kevin McKidd as Dr. Owen Hunt
- Jessica Capshaw as Dr. Arizona Robbins
- Kim Raver as Dr. Teddy Altman (as of Sympathy for the Parents; previously recurring)
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd
Special Guest StarEdit
Recurring Guest StarsEdit
- Martha Plimpton as Pam Michaelson
- Debra Monk as Louise O'Malley
- Shannon Lucio as Amanda
- Mitch Pileggi as Larry Jennings
- Zoe Boyle as Clara Ferguson
- Zack Shada as Andy Michaelson
- Amy Madigan as Dr. Katharine Wyatt
- Sarah Utterback as Nurse Olivia Harper
- Kerri Higuchi as Dr. Elizabeth Chen (co-star in Blink)
- Jeff Perry as Thatcher Grey
- Robert Baker as Dr. Charles Percy
- Sarah Drew as Dr. April Kepner
- Brandon Scott as Dr. Ryan Spalding
- Jesse Williams as Dr. Jackson Avery
- Nora Zehetner as Dr. Reed Adamson
- Héctor Elizondo as Carlos Torres
- Steven W. Bailey as Joe
- Loretta Devine as Adele Webber
- Frankie Faison as William Bailey
- Leven Rambin as Sloan Riley
- Jason George as Dr. Ben Warren
- J. August Richards as Young Richard Webber
- Michael O'Neill as Gary Clark
- Tom Irwin as Marty Hancock
- Ryan Devlin as Bill Portman
- Mandy Moore as Mary Portman
Prominent Guest StarsEdit
- Adrienne Barbeau as Jodie Crowley
- James Frain as Tom Crowley
- Ralph Waite as Irving Waller
- Faran Tahir as Isaac
- Joel Grey as Dr. Singer
- Dan Bucatinsky as Jeffrey
- Sarah Paulson as Young Ellis Grey
- Chelcie Ross as Dr. Harper Avery
- Demi Lovato as Hayley May
- Cynthia Stevenson as Ruthie Carlin
- Annie Fitzgerald as Kathy Nelson
- Alexie Gilmore as Sarah Freemont
- Rosalie Ward as Melissa Corso
- Abigail McFarlane as Jamie Anders
- Mia Barron as Lauren Turner
- Alyssa Shafer as Kelly Temple
- Sara Gilbert as Kim Allen
- Miguel Nájera as Janitor Mike
- Mark Saul as Dr. Steve Mostow
- Molly Kidder as Dr. Megan Mostow
- Joseph Williamson as Dr. Pierce Halley
- Winston Story as Dr. Leo Byrider
- Gloria Garayua as Dr. Graciella Guzman
- Ray Ford as Paramedic Ray
- T'Shaun Barrett as Jon
- Candice Afia as Laura
- Amrapali Ambegaokar as Dr. Dani Mandvi
- Tymberlee Chanel as Claire
- Shi Ne Nielson as Paramedic
- Nicole Cummins as Paramedic Nicole Cummins
- Phil Abrams as Dr. Jim Nelson
- Payton Silver as Dr. Knox
- John O'Brien as Lab Tech
- Moe Irvin as Nurse Tyler Christian
- Arlene Santana as Nurse
- Kate Anthony as Nurse Kate
- Alixandree Antoine as Nurse
- Brooke Blanchard as Paramedic Jill
- Denice Sealy as Nurse Liz McKee
Notes and TriviaEdit
- During early season six, Ellen Pompeo was pregnant and showing, so most shots of her are above the chest or her belly is covered with something.
- This season has the highest number of episodes that are not narrated solely by Meredith, with 6. This record is shared with season ten. In this season, it may also be a result of Ellen Pompeo's pregnancy.
- The voice over of Goodbye is narrated by all main characters at the time.
- The Give Peace a Chance, State of Love and Trust, and Death and All His Friends voice overs are all three narrated by Derek Shepherd.
- Richard Webber narrates the voice over of The Time Warp.
- Owen Hunt narrates the Suicide is Painless voice over.
The "Grey's Anatomy: Complete Sixth Season – More is Better" boxset was released in region 1 on September 14, 2010. On December 5, 2011 and November 3, 2010, the DVD was released in regions 2 and 4 respectively.
The boxset contains the 24 episodes of the season, with one extended. The DVD box contains 6 discs. Other set details are:
- English (Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround)
- Audio Commentaries
Additional to the episodes, the season 6 DVD set also contains a couple of special features:
- Dissecting Grey's Anatomy – Unaired Scenes
- In Stitches: Season 6 Outtakes
- Chandra Wilson: Anatomy of a Talent
- Seattle Grace: On Call – 6 Webisodes