|“||People have scars. In all sorts of unexpected places. Like secret road maps of their personal histories. Diagrams of all their old wounds. Most of our wounds heal, leaving nothing behind but a scar. But some of them don't. Some wounds we carry with us everywhere and though the cut's long gone, the pain still lingers. What's worse, new wounds which are so horribly painful or old wounds that should've healed years ago and never did? Maybe our old wounds teach us something. They remind us where we've been and what we've overcome. They teach us lessons about what to avoid in the future. That's what we like to think. But that's not the way it is, is it? Some things we just have to learn over and over and over again.||”|
Izzie objects to Alex taking George's room, while Cristina objects to an old flame and old professor turning up as the new candidate for chief of surgery. Meredith hides when her father and his wife turn at the hospital. Izzie treats an old Korean War veteran who was shot, he claims friendly fire and wants the bullet to prove it was. Derek and George treat an old friend of Derek's from New York, but Derek showboats when he has a guest in surgery.
Izzie comes out of the shower, and suddenly Alex comes in the bathroom. He says he's moving in. Izzie goes to Meredith's room and talks about why Alex is moving in. Alex has taken George's room because he moved out. George and Callie are at the hotel and they are eating breakfast.
At the lockers, Meredith tells her friends that she is fine, she picked out an urn and hanging up in her closet. They then ask how the new chief candidate is and George says Richard is bringing in a ringer and probably not giving it to one of their boyfriends. Miranda is telling Meredith to take it easy, so she is assigned to scut.
Alex is on the Jane Doe. Izzie is on Mr. Scofield. George is assigned with Derek on Dr. Crawford. She tells Derek this will be the last surgery because she is done. She wants to spend that last 2 years of her life lying in the sun and living life. Meredith and all the interns are standing outside waiting to see how the ringer is. Dr. Marlow comes out and Preston praise his work. He goes to Dr. Marlow but Dr. Marlow brushes him away and go towards Cristina. He hugs Cristina and feels her up. Cristina tells Preston that he was his professor. Cristina goes into the closet to hide away from Dr. Marlow. She hid in the closet with Meredith because she's hiding from her father's wife, Susan. They both come out of the closet and talk to them. Susan talks to Meredith and gives her condolence of her mom's passing. Susan invites Meredith for dinner. Dr. Marlow talks to Cristina and tells her the Cristina would not hide in a closet and she says she's getting married to Preston.
George finds out from Dr. Crawford that the Archfiend Hotel is expensive. He had been paying $200 a week and demands Callie to tell him that they should really split the bills. She tells him to now worry about it and he wants to know where she's getting the money. She's been getting $2,500 a week from her parents because she is rich. George wants to know why he's paying $200 and she says that's the tip for housekeeping.
Meredith tells Derek that she's accepted the invitation of Susan. Derek suggest to have dinner at Meredith's place and that he'll come too. George tells Meredith and Izzie that Callie is rich. George leaves the lunch table and Cristiana and Alex comes in. They talk about how Cristina dated Dr. Marlow. Meredith tells them that she's having dinner with Thatcher's family.
Derek and Preston invites Dr. Marlow on their surgeries and he agrees. When he leaves, they briefly talk about how Dr. Marlow was with Cristina.
Mark and Alex are operating on Jane Doe and suddenly the baby goes in distress. Addison and Mark scream at each other in the hallway and Richard stops them and tells them to be leaders.
Dr. Marlow tells Preston that Cristina and him were together for three years. Preston talks to Cristina and tells her she can commit to marriage with Dr. Marlow but not with him.
Derek is operating on Dr. Crawford while Dr. Marlow is observing with George assisting. The patient is in distress and Derek opens up her chest and saves her. Dr. Marlow tells Preston and Derek that he is impressed of Derek's work and Preston gets angry because he wanted to know why he didn't call him to help. Again, Richard stopped the screaming match.
Mr. Scofield has been having pains because of a bullet 50 years ago. They successfully pull the bullet out.
Izzie helps with dinner in the kitchen. Meredith invites her to dinner but she says no, she tells Meredith to bond with her father and Susan. Susan, Thatcher, Derek and sitting out the table. Alex comes in and Meredith invites him to sit down with them, and he accepts. Meredith asks about the baby. Thatcher tells Meredith about this old picture of Molly and him about the red sled and the tree. Meredith tells her that is her. The power blew a fuse and Thatcher says he'll go to the laundry room and fix it.
At the hotel, George and Callie talks about why she didn't tell him about the money. Callie tells George that Izzie loves him. George laughs at the idea of a someone as beautiful as Izzie liking him so Callie tells him to get the hell out.
Alex and Izzie are in the kitchen talking about if Izzie should move on. Alex tells her she will move on when she's ready.
Cristina comes in the house and sees Meredith and Susan at the dining table. She tells her she's having a crisis about her ex-boyfriend and fiancé and doesn't know what to do. George comes in and talks to Izzie and tells her that she needs to get over it. Derek goes to the laundry room and sees Thatcher sitting down. Derek tells him that Meredith is worth the effort and Thatcher flips the switch and the lights go back on.
Derek goes back to the hospital to check with Dr. Crawford. He tells her that he got all the tumor out and she will live a long life. They are both happy.
Susan thanks Meredith for having them. Meredith and Thatcher talk about the swing on the porch. The night ends well for them.
George and Izzie are drinking on the floor talking about Callie. George tells Izzie that Callie thinks she is in love with him. They laugh about that while drinking and laughing more. George and Izzie look at each other.
Alex tells Jane Doe that the baby might be okay. Jane Doe tells Alex that she trusts him.
Meredith and Cristina are in bed together wondering if Cristina will ruin the marriage.
Izzie wakes and find she's lying in bed next to George naked.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang
- Katherine Heigl as Dr. Izzie Stevens
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
- T.R. Knight as Dr. George O'Malley
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber
- Kate Walsh as Dr. Addison Montgomery
- Sara Ramírez as Dr. Callie Torres
- Eric Dane as Dr. Mark Sloan
- Isaiah Washington as Dr. Preston Burke
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd
- Elizabeth Reaser as Jane Doe
- Jeff Perry as Thatcher Grey
- Roger Rees as Dr. Colin Marlow
- James Gammon as Mr. Scofield
- Mare Winningham as Susan Grey
- Shohreh Aghdashloo as Dr. Helen Crawford
- Orbital bone fracture
- Cervical cerclage
The Jane Doe from the ferry crash still had not been identified. She needed surgery on her eye in order to prevent her from losing her vision, possibly permanently. In surgery, the baby started having late decels and there was vaginal bleeding, so they had to page Addison to do a cervical cerclage. Her surgery was completed successfully.
- Scapula injury
- Foreign body in scapula
- Surgical extraction
Mr. Scofield had been shot 50 years prior. The bullet hadn't started hurting until recently, which is what prompted him to come into the clinic. Izzie took films to confirm that it was a bullet causing his pain. The bullet was working its way into his scapula and was infected, which caused the pain. They removed the bullet successfully.
- Parafalcine meningioma
- Venous air embolism
- Sagittal sinus bypass
- Open cardiac massage
Helen had a brain tumor which she had had surgery to remove partially three times prior. Because of its delicate location, they left a small part of the tumor each time, which allowed it to grow back. She was in for her fourth resection, which she decided would be her last. Determined not to let her die, Derek proposed a riskier surgery which would remove the whole tumor. In surgery, she developed a venous air embolism, so Derek did an open cardiac massage, which was successful. Her tumor was also removed successfully.
- Cristina Yang (surgical intern)
Cristina mentioned prepping a hysterectomy to Burke.
- Transposition of great arteries
- Preston Burke (cardiothoracic surgeon)
- Arterio switch operation
Burke invited Colin Marlow to observe him doing an artery switch operation on a TGA.
|"Come to Me"||Koop||
|"Land of No Return"||Wild Sweet Orange||
|"Move You"||Anya Marina||
Notes and TriviaEdit
- This episode's title originated from the song Scars and Souvenirs, originally sung by Max Stalling.
- This episode scored 22.68 million viewers.
- When Izzie goes into Meredith' room after she comes out of the shower you can see a tag on her back of something she's wearing underneath her towel.
- Izzie: Alex is moving in?! To this house?!
- Meredith: He's taking George's room.
- Izzie: Why?
- Derek: I was asleep just a minute ago.
- Izzie: Uh! And I was naked - in the bathroom - when Alex walked in. I'm lucky I didn't come out of the shower to see him peeing all over the seat.
- Derek: And we're up.
- (Derek leaves)
- Izzie: What's wrong with where he was living before?
- Meredith: I don't know where he was living before.
- Izzie: Probably a whorehouse.
- (Meredith laughs)
- Izzie: I can't have him living in the room right next door. It's weird.
- Meredith: People are what matters. Alex is one of our people. We can't just leave him out in the cold.
- Izzie: 'People are what matters.' You don't like people. Is this about your mother?
- Meredith: No! I had a near-death whatever and I was dead. And now I'm not. So, I'd like to use this chance I've been given to be more positive. People are what matters. Paint with all the colors of the wind.
- Izzie: Oh, okay. You're crazy now.
- Meredith: (giggling) I'm alive.
- Izzie: Yeah, okay.
- George: I need you to get over yourself. I need you to start liking my wife. I need you to like her because sometimes I don't and I need you to talk me back into it. You say you're my friend and that's the job.
- Izzie: Okay.
- George: I need to vent, and I need it to be okay.
- Izzie: Okay.
- George: And I need to vent with alcohol. (Izzie gets glasses, then goes to pour them a drink, George stops her) I got married and I'm scared that it was a bad idea.
- Izzie: Nobody ever got married and didn't think that at least once.
- Derek: (Talking about Meredith to her dad) She’s tough. She tries to hide it. She’s difficult. But if you make an effort, she’s worth it. She’s worth the effort.
A complete overview of this episode's crew can be found here.
|Grey's Anatomy Season 3|
|#01||"Time Has Come Today"||#10||"Don't Stand So Close to Me"||#19||"My Favorite Mistake"|
|#02||"I Am a Tree"||#11||"Six Days, Part 1"||#20||"Time After Time"|
|#03||"Sometimes a Fantasy"||#12||"Six Days, Part 2"||#21||"Desire"|
|#04||"What I Am"||#13||"Great Expectations"||#22||"The Other Side of This Life, Part 1"|
|#05||"Oh, the Guilt"||#14||"Wishin' and Hopin'"||#23||"The Other Side of This Life, Part 2"|
|#06||"Let the Angels Commit"||#15||"Walk on Water"||#24||"Testing 1-2-3"|
|#07||"Where the Boys Are"||#16||"Drowning on Dry Land"||#25||"Didn't We Almost Have It All?"|
|#08||"Staring at the Sun"||#17||"Some Kind of Miracle"|
|#09||"From a Whisper to a Scream"||#18||"Scars and Souvenirs"|
|<< Season 2||Season 4 >>|