Pediatric surgery is a surgical specialty that deals with the care of fetuses, infants, children, and adolescents. The upper age limit ranges from age 14 to 18, depending on the country, before the patient would be seen by another physician for any medical problems.
Pediatric surgery has its own sub-specialties branching into other specialties, such as pediatric general surgery, pediatric neurosurgery and pediatric cardiothoracic surgery, as well as two sub-specialties of its own, fetal surgery and neonatal surgery.
Notable Pediatric surgeons in Grey's Anatomy/Private Practice Edit
- Dr. Addison Montgomery (Director of Medicine and staff, OB/GYN at Seaside Wellness,OB/GYN and Neonatal Surgeon at St. Ambrose Hospital, and former Head of OB/GYN and Neonatal Surgery at Seattle Grace Hospital)
- Dr. Arizona Robbins (Chief of Pediatric surgery at Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital)
- Dr. Robert Stark (Former Chief of Pediatric surgery at Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital)
- Dr. Alex Karev (Pediatric Surgery Fellow at Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital)
- Dr. Mel Barnett (Attending Pediatric Surgeon at Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital)
Notes and Trivia Edit
- Although her training does include Pediatric Surgery, Dr. Montgomery has never been referred to as a pediatric surgeon: she has always been referred to as a neonatal surgeon, or, on occasion, a fetal surgeon.