|“||Forty years ago, the Beatles asked the world a simple question: they wanted to know where all the lonely people came from. My latest theory is that a great many of the lonely people come from hospitals. More precisely, the surgical wing of hospitals. As surgeons, we ignore our own needs so we can meet our patients' needs. We ignore our friends and families so we can save other people's friends and families. Which means that, at the end of the day, all we really have is ourselves. And nothing in this world can make you feel more alone than that. Four hundred years ago, another well-known English guy had an opinion about being alone. John Donne. He thought we were never alone. Of course it was fancier when he said it. No man is an island entire unto himself. Boil down that island talk and he just meant that all anyone needs is someone to step in and let us know we're not alone. And who's to say that someone can't have four legs. Someone to play with, or run around with, or just hang out.||”|
A prisoner swallows razor blades to get out of solitary confinement, annoying Cristina in the process. While watching over the quintuplets, Addison teaches a lesson to Izzie using an old technique that Richard taught her long ago.
Episode in detail.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang
- Katherine Heigl as Dr. Izzie Stevens
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
- T.R. Knight as Dr. George O'Malley
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber
- Kate Walsh as Dr. Addison Montgomery-Shepherd
- Isaiah Washington as Dr. Preston Burke
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd
- Rosanna Arquette as Constance Ferguson
- Timothy Bottoms as Carl Murphy
- Margaret Welsh as Dorie Russell
- Pat Healy as Tom Russell
- Curtis Armstrong as Robert Martin
- Sarah Utterback as Olivia Harper
- Patricia Bethune as Nurse Ginger
- Monica Garcia as Peds Nurse
- Elaine Kao as NICU Nurse
- Brooke Blanchard as Jill the Paramedic
- Amie Donegan as NICU Nurse #2
- Shunt insertion
- NICU care
Lucy had a shunt inserted to treat her hydrocephalus and was being observed in the NICU afterward.
- Respiratory distress syndrome
- Collapsed lung
- NICU care
- Chest tube
- Cobedding with Kate Russell
Charlotte's lungs were a little less developed than her sisters', so she was struggling to breathe. They put a special mask on her face to help her breathe. Her lung collapsed, but they re-inflated it quickly and inserted a tube to help her breathe. When she stopped breathing again, she was intubated. Meredith had the idea to put her in the same incubator as Kate Russell, who was otherwise stable, which improved her status greatly.
- Hypoplastic left-heart syndrome
- Restricted atrial septum
- NICU care
Emily had had surgery, in which Burke threaded a catheter into her heart. They planned a second surgery. They planned to do a Norwood procedure, but once they opened her chest, they discovered that there was nothing they could do and closed. Izzie attempted to keep her alive overnight, but she died early in the morning.
- NICU care
Julie had already had one surgery on her omphalocele. They tried to close completely, but they were unable to because it compressed her lungs, so they needed to wait and perform a second surgery in a few days to finish.
- NICU care
Kate was premature, but otherwise stable, so she was just in the NICU to be monitored and gain weight.
- Reconstructive surgery
- Skin grafting
- Leech therapy
Carl, 52, was diagnosed with multiple melanomas. He'd also previously had ear and nose reconstructions. He'd also had a skin graft to his left index finger. He had a slow capillary refill, so they treated him with leeches.
- Rathke's cleft cyst
Robert, 45, was still in the hospital. He was unconscious and had a very small chance to wake up. He didn't wake up, but Alex sat with him because he didn't want him to die alone.
- Addison Montgomery-Shepherd (OB/GYN)
Dorie was still in the hospital following her c-section delivery.
- Foreign body in digestive tract
- Perforated windpipe
- Surgical extraction
Constance, 40, swallowed a razor blade in order to get sent out from prison to the hospital. She was uncooperative, so they took an x-ray. The x-ray revealed that she'd actually swallowed four razor blades, so instead of waiting for them to pass, they operated to remove them. After her surgery, she attempted to swallow a lightbulb and choked on the pieces. They couldn't intubate, so she was rushed into surgery for a thoracotomy. Her windpipe was ruptured and they repaired it.
Adam, Oliver, and Graham RussellEdit
Adam, Oliver, and Graham couldn't visit their mother because they had influenza.
- Derek Shepherd (neurosurgeon)
Derek gave the name James Hanson as the first patient he ever killed.
|"I Me You I'm Your"||Jim Noir||
|"Two Step"||Gemma Hayes||
|"Tears and Rain"||James Blunt||
|"Sunny Road"||Emilíana Torrini||
|"War on Sound"||Moonbabies||
Notes and TriviaEdit
- This episode's title originated from the song Owner of a Lonely Heart, originally sung by the progressive rock band Yes.
- This episode scored 20.58 million viewers.
- George: I have the best quint. Lucy. She just smiled at me.
- Izzie: She's nine hours old, George.
- George: I'm saying, there are five babies here, and clearly *mine* is the advanced one.
- Meredith: Charlotte's smart. She's got wrinkles on her forehead. Very serious.
- Izzie: OK. A: this is not a competition. And B: my quint kicks your quints asses. Emily's strong, she won't let go of my finger.
- Cristina: Hey, Julie has her organs on the outside of her body and she's still alive, thank you!
- Alex: Kate's the best one.
- Cristina: Hell hath no fury like a girl whose non-boyfriend screws a nurse.
- Izzie: Bitch.
- Cristina: I like you bitter and pissed off. You're almost like a normal person now.
- Constance: Come on, baby. I'm not gonna hurt you. I only murdered three people and none of them were doctors.
- Meredith: You've been lying low.
- Alex: Well, nobody's talking to me so it makes it kind of easy, right?
- Meredith: I'm talking to you. In short mono-syllabic sentences laced with disdain and contempt.
- Alex: So, what? According to girl rules, now you all have to hate me?
- Meredith: I don't hate you. If my mother hadn't gotten Alzheimer's, I'd probably be you.
- Derek: First person I killed, I was a second year resident. James Hanson. You should go home Alex, there's nothing you can do here.
- Alex: Nobody should die alone.
A complete overview of this episode's crew can be found here.
|Grey's Anatomy Season 2|
|#01||"Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head"||#10||"Much too Much"||#19||"What Have I Done to Deserve This?"|
|#02||"Enough is Enough"||#11||"Owner of a Lonely Heart"||#20||"Band-Aid Covers the Bullet Hole"|
|#03||"Make Me Lose Control"||#12||"Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer"||#21||"Superstition"|
|#04||"Deny, Deny, Deny"||#13||"Begin the Begin"||#22||"The Name of the Game"|
|#05||"Bring the Pain"||#14||"Tell Me Sweet Little Lies"||#23||"Blues for Sister Someone"|
|#06||"Into You Like a Train"||#15||"Break on Through"||#24||"Damage Case"|
|#07||"Something to Talk About"||#16||"It's the End of the World"||#25||"17 Seconds"|
|#08||"Let It Be"||#17||"As We Know It"||#26||"Deterioration of the Fight or Flight Response"|
|#09||"Thanks for the Memories"||#18||"Yesterday"||#27||"Losing My Religion"|
|<< Season 1||Season 3 >>|