An operating room (or theatre) is where surgeons perform surgery. Many types of surgery can take place there and sometimes more than one surgery takes place at the same time. Before entering an OR, you must first wash your hands in the scrub room.
Surgeons and scrub nurses are the main people in the OR's but other doctors are also present such as anesthesiologist's and other people like perfusionist's.
Unless unexpected emergencies, surgeries are first written on the OR board under the headings Order(time), duration. patient, procedure and anest.
Some operating rooms (but not all) have galleries where other doctors can look at the surgery without being in the way. No non-medical personnel can be there.
Notes and TriviaEdit
- James Pickens, Jr. conducted a tour of SGH during season two.
- OR 2 was added to the set in season two.
- Doctors must scrub for four minutes to be sterile. (Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital protocol)
- All of the equipment in OR 1 is authentic.
- The crew bought an actual MRI machine. MRI machines typically cost between 1 and 2 million dollars.