Oncology is the branch of medicine dealing with cancer. A medical professional who practices oncology is an oncologist.
Oncology has several sub-specialties within oncology such as medical oncology, radiation oncology, and surgical oncology.
- Dr. Wyatt Lockhart (Former Oncologist at Pacific Wellcare Center)
- Dr. Rebecca Swender (Attending Surgical Oncologist at Seattle Grace Hospital)
- Dr. Brian Reynolds (Attending Oncologist at St. Ambrose Hospital)
- Dr. E. Gendall (Third-year Oncology Resident at Seattle Grace Hospital)
- Dr. Eric Rodriguez (Attending Oncologist at St. Ambrose Hospital)
Notes and TriviaEdit
- Despite having Swender on staff and an oncology residency program, most cases handled on Grey's Anatomy involving cancerous tumors are treated by the specialty where the tumor is located.
- Tumors in the abdominal regions are handled and treated by general surgeons.
- Tumors in the thoracic cavity or chest are handled and treated by cardiothoracic surgeons.
- Tumors in the bone or spine are handled and treated by orthopedic surgeons.
- Tumors in the brain or spine are handled and treated by neurosurgeons.
- Izzie's case was the only instance of oncology residents being seen and managed by a surgical oncologist.