|No Man's Land|
|Season 1, episode 4|
|A patient with nails embedded in his head is brought in in the ER.|
April 17, 2005
- "Intimacy is a four syllable word for "Here is my heart and soul, please grind them into hamburger, and enjoy." It's both desired, and feared. Difficult to live with, and impossible to live without. Intimacy also comes attached to life's three R's: relatives, romance, and roommates. There are some things you can't escape. And other things you just don't want to know. I wish there were a rulebook for intimacy. Some kind of guide to tell you when you've crossed the line. It would be nice if you could see it coming, and I don't know how you fit it on a map. You take it where you can get it, and keep it as long as you can. And as for rules, maybe there are none. Maybe the rules of intimacy are something you have to define for yourself."
- —Meredith Grey
Cristina's encounter with Ellis Grey's former scrub nurse, who is now a patient at Seattle Grace, changes her forever. George becomes infuriated when he realizes that Izzie and Meredith treat him like their sister. An old part of Izzie's life will be revealed which makes her the subject of hospital gossip and Derek, Meredith, George, and Alex have a patient with nails in his head.
Full Summary Edit
Episode in detail.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang
- Katherine Heigl as Dr. Izzie Stevens
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
- T.R. Knight as Dr. George O'Malley
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber
- Isaiah Washington as Dr. Preston Burke
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd
- Anna Maria Horsford as Elizabeth Fallon
- F.J. Rio as Jorge Cruz
- Valerie Cruz as Zona Cruz
- Taylor Nichols as Rick Humphrey
- Kate Burton as Ellis Grey
- Tom Choi as Fluoroscope Tech
- Chris Hendrie as Dr. Harry Victor
- Moe Irvin as Tyler
- Helen McCardle as ER Doc
- Jack Merrill as Radiology Tech #2
- John O'Brien as Radiology Tech #1
|"Could Be Anything"||The Eames Era|
|"Let Myself Fall"||Rosie Thomas|
|"Break Your Heart"||Get Set Go|
|"Where Does the Good Go?"||Tegan and Sara||
Notes and Trivia Edit
- This episode's title originated from the song No Man's Land, originally sung by Billy Joel.
- This episode scored 19.18 million viewers.
- The episode begins shortly before 4:30am.
- Goof (editing continuity): When Izzie is talking to her patient, her bangs are on the right side of her face. In the next shot, her bangs switch sides and are on the left side of her face.
- In this episode, it was stated that Preston Burke would be performing the Whipple Procedure on Liz Fallon. This is unusual given that Burke is a cardiothoracic surgeon and the organs involved in a Whipple, e.g. pancreas, gallbladder, etc., are abdominal and within the speciality of general surgery. Having said this, Burke is likely to be a certified general surgeon, given that the former is required to complete a cardiothoracic surgery fellowship.
- Meredith: Where are the tampons?
- Izzie: He didn't buy them.
- Meredith: You didn't buy them?
- George: Men don't buy tampons.
- Izzie: You know what. You are gonna have to get over the man thing, George. We're women! We have vaginas! Get used to it.
- George: I am not your sister.
- Izzie: You want to see it? You really want to see it? Fine. (Takes off her coat) Let's look at that tattoo up close and personal, shall we? (Takes off her shirt) And what are these? Oh, my God! Breasts! How does anybody practice medicine hauling these things around? (Takes her hair down) And what do we got back here? Let's see if I remember my anatomy. (Takes her pants off) Glutes, right? Let's study them, shall we? Gather around and check out the booty that put Izzie Stevens through med school. Have you had enough or should I continue? Because I have a few more very interesting tattoos. (Alex looks ashamed.) You want to call me Dr. Model? That's fine. Just remember that while you're sitting on 200 grand of student loans--I'm out of debt.
|Grey's Anatomy Season 1'|
|#01||"A Hard Day's Night"||#04||"No Man's Land"||#07||"The Self-Destruct Button"|
|#02||"The First Cut Is the Deepest"||#05||"Shake Your Groove Thing"||#08||"Save Me"|
|#03||"Winning a Battle, Losing the War"||#06||"If Tomorrow Never Comes"||#09||"Who's Zoomin' Who?"|
|Season 2 >>|