|Season 6, episode 9|
|Mark talks to Teddy Altman, the new cardiothoracic surgeon at the hospital.|
November 12, 2009
- "Doctors live in a world of constant progress and forward motion. Stand still for a second, and you'll be left behind. But as hard as we try to move forward, as tempting as it is to never look back, the past always comes back to bite us in the ass. And as history shows us again and again, those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it. Sometimes the past is something you just can't let go of. And sometimes the past is something we'll do anything to forget. And sometimes we learn something new about the past that changes everything we know about the present."
- —Meredith Grey
When Owen recruits his fellow Iraqi War vet, Dr. Teddy Altman, as the new cardiothoracic surgeon, Cristina questions Teddy's abilities in the OR and the nature of their past relationship. Meanwhile Izzie returns to Seattle Grace with her high school mentor seeking treatment for his dementia, and the stress of Richard's responsibilities, post-merger, are taking their toll.
Full Summary Edit
Episode in detail.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang
- Katherine Heigl as Dr. Izzie Stevens
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber
- Sara Ramírez as Dr. Callie Torres
- Eric Dane as Dr. Mark Sloan
- Chyler Leigh as Dr. Lexie Grey
- Kevin McKidd as Dr. Owen Hunt
- Jessica Capshaw as Dr. Arizona Robbins
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd
- Kim Raver as Dr. Teddy Altman
- Joel Grey as Dr. Singer
- Robert Baker as Dr. Charles Percy
- Jesse Williams as Dr. Jackson Avery
- Nora Zehetner as Dr. Reed Adamson
- Steven W. Bailey as Joe
- Loretta Devine as Adele Webber
|"Sunny Day"||Joy Williams||
|"End of All Time"||Stars of Track and Field||
|"In Spite of Me"||Greg Laswell||
|"Poison & Wine"||The Civil Wars||
Notes and Trivia Edit
- This episode's title originated from the song New History, originally sung by Andy Davis.
- This episode scored 14.87 million viewers.
- At the beginning, Meredith is shown to know that Izzie had a teen pregnancy. However, the last time that subject was mentioned in the show was in the 3rd season and only George & Bailey knew about it.
- When Cristina is doing the angioplasty and showing off her skills, her patient is Gary Clark and presents with ST Elevation and a blockage in the LAD (Left Anterior Descending). This may be the Gary Clark from Sanctuary, who shoots various doctors and in the end kills himself after losing his wife.
- Cristina: Teddy Altman. I... I've never heard of you.
- Teddy: Cristina Yang? I... I've never heard of you either. So I guess that makes us even.
- Owen: Um, I know you think that I don't understand you. So, I got you a present. (they walk into an exam room)
- Cristina: You got me a cardiac trauma!
- Owen: I didn't just get you a cardiac trauma. I got you a cardio God, or Goddess.
- Bailey: Everything all right?
- Adele: Richard didn't come home last night and he didn't call. Tell me he's not lying somewhere in a ditch, dead.
- Bailey: Okay, the last time I saw him was... last night, in his office, he was working on the budget.
- Adele: So, why didn't he answer his pager or his cell phone? And why doesn't anybody in this hospital know where the Chief of Surgery is?
- Lexie: (walks up) Dr. Bailey, have you seen the Chief? One of his patients needs an emergency chole.
- Bailey: Okay, I'm on it. (to Lexie) You go ahead and prep the patient for surgery. (to Adele) You get yourself a cup of coffee, decaf. I will find the Chief.
- Bailey: Chief!
- Richard: (wakes up) What've we got?
- Bailey: An emergency chole, a new cardio attending and your wife is here to see you.
- Richard: What?
- Bailey: You in trouble. Drink your latte.
- Bailey: Okay, I understand that you're under a tremendous amount of pressure right now, and that you haven't been able to spend time at home, and that a man, in your position has certain... needs, and that, when a man is as powerful and as attractive as you are, those needs might easily be met by...
- Richard: Dr. Bailey?
- Bailey: Yes, sir?
- Richard: Are you hitting on me?
- Bailey: Your wife just showed up here asking me if you and I were having an affair. (The Chief goes to say something) No, no! I don't want to know anything about anything. What you do with your business, is your business. And I was not hitting on you.
- Reed: Dr. Bailey? Do you mind if I scrub in on the Chief's ileostomy?
- Bailey: Yes, I do mind. That man is old enough to be your father.
- Lexie: Dr. Bailey, have you seen the Chief?
- Bailey: No, uh-uh. You don't need to be seeing the Chief, either one of you. And doctors? If I find out that either one of you has said a word about this to anyone, I will make sure that you are the ones that require emergency surgery.
- Izzie: (to Charles) You are the one that got me fired. You owe me this, you little bitch. Unless of course you want me to find that snotty Reed, what's her name? Tell her how much you love her, 'cause I will.
- Meredith: (about Teddy) So how do you like your present?
- Cristina: Oh, private Benjamin over there? Owen said she would surprise me. Well, guess what. Surprise! She doesn't know how to do surgery.
- Alex: Leave her alone. It's her first day.
- Cristina: Why are you defending her? She went to state school.
- Alex: So did I.
- Cristina: Well, she's skinny and blonde.
- Alex: So's Mer.
- Cristina: Well, she's annoying.
- Alex: So are you.
- Cristina: Where is your wife, by the way?
- Meredith: I... What did you say to Owen?
- Cristina: Oh, that she's gotta go. I mean, he knows how important this is to me. I need someone who is gonna take me to the next level, and he brings me like this Desert Storm Barbie who hasn't seen the inside of an OR in like 10years? I mean, if this is what he thinks of my talent, I gotta break up with him.
- Meredith: It's my first day back. I just wanted to have a normal lunch.
- Cristina: Yeah, well take a look around. Nothing's normal.
- Callie: What's going on?
- Bailey: The Chief's takin' some time off from surgery for a while.
- Callie: Because he's having an affair?
- Bailey: Because of the merger. He's not having an affair. He's exhausted. Now, I've lost my work-husband and my husband-husband.
- Callie: So, I'll be your work husband.
- Bailey: You already have Sloan.
- Callie: Oh, yeah, that's true. What about Shepherd?
- Bailey: Pssh. Are you kiddin'? All that hair? I can't be lookin' at that all day.
|Grey's Anatomy Season 6|
|#01||"Good Mourning"||#09||"New History"||#17||"Push"|
|#02||"Goodbye"||#10||"Holidaze"||#18||"Suicide is Painless"|
|#03||"I Always Feel Like Somebody's Watchin' Me"||#11||"Blink"||#19||"Sympathy for the Parents"|
|#04||"Tainted Obligation"||#12||"I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked"||#20||"Hook, Line and Sinner"|
|#05||"Invasion"||#13||"State of Love and Trust"||#21||"How Insensitive"|
|#06||"I Saw What I Saw"||#14||"Valentine's Day Massacre"||#22||"Shiny Happy People"|
|#07||"Give Peace a Chance”"||#15||"The Time Warp"||#23||"Sanctuary"|
|#08||"Invest in Love"||#16||"Perfect Little Accident"||#24||"Death and All His Friends"|
|<< Season 5||Season 7 >>|