Neurosurgery is a surgical specialty focused on treating the nervous system including the spinal cord and the brain.
Notable Neurosurgeons in Grey's Anatomy/Private Practice Edit
- Dr. Derek Shepherd (Chief of Neurosurgery at Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital)
- Dr. Jim Nelson (Attending Neurosurgeon at Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital)
- Dr. Amelia Shepherd (Neurosurgeon at St. Ambrose Hospital and Seaside Wellness)
- Dr. Ramsey (Attending Neurosurgeon at Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital)
- Dr. Lexie Grey (Resident Neurosurgeon at Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital)
- Dr. Meredith Grey (Former Resident Neurosurgeon at Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital)
Surgical Procedures Edit
- Craniotomy: Cutting through the skin and drilling through and removing part of the skull to gain access to the brain. This is usually the start of most neurosurgery procedures.
- Removal of Parasitic Cysts (Before and After): Addison brings Archer to Seattle Grace Hospital after he has a seizure which does not resolve itself, therefore being unable to make his own decision. Archer has neurocysticercosis - parasites in his brain. Derek initially believes the surgery to be impossible, even consulting with surgeons at Mayo Clinic and Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, though after a pep-talk from Sam, he believes he is able to do so.