Mercy West Medical Center was a rival teaching hospital to Seattle Grace Hospital in Seattle, which has been described as on "the other side of town." In season six, Mercy West merged with Seattle Grace.
Power Outage at Seattle GraceEdit
An intern from Mercy West named Marshall was admitted after causing an accident. ("Damage Case")
George's Resident ApplicationEdit
George O'Malley applied to become a resident at Mercy West. He was accepted pending the result of his intern examination. However, he failed and instead came back to work at Seattle Grace.
Callie Torres left Seattle Grace to work at Mercy West after Richard Webber was unable to promote her to attending. Webber was later admitted to the Mercy West ER after being involved in an accident and had an intern, Dr. McKee, as his doctor. Arizona Robbins, backed by Derek Shepherd, referred her patient to Callie at Mercy West to get a 3D MRI after being turned down by Webber several times due to budget cuts. ("Goodbye")
Merger with Seattle GraceEdit
Despite the rumors that Richard would be leaving Seattle Grace to work at Mercy, he soon revealed that Mercy West and Seattle Grace Hospital would be merging. However, some employees from both Mercy and Grace would be let go. It is not known what happened to Mercy West's facilities.
These doctors worked at Mercy West before it merged with Seattle Grace.
- Dr. Kent (general surgery)
- Dr. Ben Warren (anesthesiology)
- Dr. Callie Torres (orthopedic surgery)
- Dr. Dan Slocum (cardiothoracic surgery)
- Dr. Kent (general surgery)
- Dr. Reed Adamson (general surgery)
- Dr. Jackson Avery (general surgery)
- Dr. Charles Percy (general surgery)
- Dr. April Kepner (general surgery)
Notable Former StaffEdit
There are medical personnel who have privileges at Mercy West Medical Center, despite not being on staff, which allows them access everything that medical staff at Mercy West Medical Center would be normally entitled to, such as use of ORs and surgical privileges, access to patient files, administration of medications and use the pharmacy and clinical labs, access to treatment equipment, including treatment in the ER bays.
Privileges are usually extended to attending-level physicians and surgeons.
- Dr. Preston Burke (cardiothoracic surgeon from Seattle Grace Hospital)
- Dr. Erica Hahn (cardiothoracic surgeon from Seattle Presbyterian Hospital)
Notes and TriviaEdit
- In season 6, prior to the merger, Mercy West's interior, specifically their ER, is seen and their insignia and lab coats show the hospital name as Mercy West Hospital.
- Hank McKee wore gray scrubs instead of the orange surgical scrubs when Richard was admitted into the ER. This is either an inconsistency in what surgical residents wear at Mercy West, or Hank McKee was an ER intern and gray scrubs may have been the color of the department of emergency medicine.
- April mentioned that Dr. Catherine Avery visited the hospital during April's intern year.
- The surgical residents wore orange scrubs.
- It is likely that Dr. Kent is a general surgeon as he requested a surgical resident (i.e. Miranda Bailey) to supervise, and overseeing incoming surgical emergencies. Although it is possible that Dr. Kent is a trauma surgeon, it is unlikely as Grey's Anatomy did not feature this specialty until season five.
- In 17 Seconds, it was established that Seattle Grace Hospital is an hour drive away.