A medical school is an educational institution — or part of such an institution — that teaches medicine to train the next generation of doctors.
In addition to a medical degree program (MD, in some countries MBBS or MBChB), some medical schools offer programs leading to a Master's Degree, Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), or other post-secondary education. Medical schools can also employ medical researchers and operate hospitals or are affiliated with local hospitals.
Medical schools will teach basic medical and clinical sciences to their students in order to prepare them to be doctors. Medical sciences would include human anatomy and physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology and are taught either in lectures or directed teaching of some sort. Clinical sciences would include immunology, neurology, obstetrics and gynecology, internal medicine, family medicine, surgery, psychiatry, genetics, and pathology and are taught through clinical experience in hospital attachments.
Medical Schools ReferencedEdit
- Johns Hopkins Medical School
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Stanford University School of Medicine
- University of Washington School of Medicine
- University of Iowa College of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
- Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine
- Duke University School of Medicine
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
Notes and Trivia Edit
- All medical doctors of Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital and Seaside Health and Wellness have attended medical school.
- Derek Shepherd, Addison Forbes Montgomery, Mark Sloan, Naomi Bennett, and Sam Bennett all attended Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons.
- Erica Hahn and Preston Burke were both in the same class at Johns Hopkins Medical School. Preston was ranked first in his graduating class and Erica was second.
- Cristina Yang attended Stanford University School of Medicine and graduated first in her class.
- Izzie Stevens attended University of Washington School of Medicine.
- Arizona Robbins attended Johns Hopkins Medical School.
- Alex Karev attended University of Iowa College of Medicine.
- George O'Malley attended Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine.
- Lexie Grey attended Harvard Medical School.
- Teddy Altman attended University of Texas Southwestern Medical School.
- Charlotte King, according to promotional material, attended Yale School of Medicine. However, Cooper stated in the episode "Homeward Bound" that she had a medical degree from Johns Hopkins Medical School.