Jessica is the daughter of actress Kate Capshaw and salesman Bob Capshaw. She is also the stepdaughter of Steven Spielberg. She was born in Columbia, Missouri, where both parents were students at the University of Missouri. The family moved to New York then to pursue Kate's modeling career. Her parents divorced when she was three and Jessica got drawn along in her mother's new world. Kate married Spielberg when Jessica was fifteen. Among her three parents, she is one of ten children. Jessica graduated from Brown University in 1998 with an English degree. She then attended acting classes at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London. From there, she got her first acting role on TV's "Odd Man Out".
Jessica married Christopher Gavigan in May 2004. The couple has four children.
- The Hero of Color City (2014)
- One Angry Juror (2010)
- Untitled David Kohan/Max Mutchnick TV Project (2007)
- Blind Trust (2007)
- The Groomsmen (2006)
- View from the Top (2003)
- Romeo Fire (2002)
- Minority Report (2002)
- The Mesmerist (2002)
- Valentine (2001)
- The Back Page (2001)
- Big Time (short) (2000)
- Killing Cinderella (2000)
- The Love Letter (1999)
- Denial (1998)
- The Locusts (1997)
- Grey's Anatomy (2009-)
- Head Case (2009)
- The L Word (2007)
- Bones (2006)
- Thick and Thin (2006)
- Into the West (mini-series) (2005)
- The Practice (2002-2004)
- Odd Man Out (1999-2000)
- ER (1999)
Notes and TriviaEdit
- Jessica was a fan of the show before joining it.
- Jessica originally auditioned for the role of Rose and the role of Sadie Harris before being cast as Arizona.
- The first thing she knew about her character was the name: Arizona Robbins.
- Jessica's current contract keeps her on the show for seasons 12, 13, and 14, thus until May 2018.
- If she could be a doctor and choose a specialty in real life, she'd choose to be pediatrician because she feels they have more regular hours than pediatric surgeons, but still get to work with kids.
- She thinks her "Mc" nickname would be McDimples.
- She and Justin Chambers always sit next to each other at table reads.
- She has the habit of watching the pilot episode of Grey's every year because it reminds her of the show she fell in love with and why she wanted to be on the show. Prior to season 13, she also watched the first few episodes with Arizona and the episode with Arizona's birthday party.