It's a beautiful night/day to save lives was a phrase often uttered by Derek right before a surgery for good luck. Sometimes he adds "Let's have some fun" in the end.
Notes and TriviaEdit
- When performing an appendectomy on Sadie, Lexie said, It's a beautiful day to save lives although technically it was night and they weren't saving a life.
- When Derek was to operate on Addison's brother, Archer, Addison became much less worried as soon as he said the phrase.
- On his first surgery back from "the woods" in season five, Derek says this phrase hesitantly as he goes to work on Izzie's brain.
- Cristina used this phrase when operating on Derek in Death and All His Friends. She also said it sounds better when Derek says it.
- On Derek's first surgery back after the plane crash, Callie and the OR staff were nudging Derek to say the phrase. Derek chuckled, then said it.