An intern is a term used for a doctor in training who has completed medical school. An intern has a medical degree, but does not have a full license to practice medicine unsupervised and so are taught by their residents and attendings.
Surgical Interns and Their ResidentsEdit
The interns are listed under their residents according to their season of introduction.
- Dr. Miranda Bailey
Seasons 4 and 5Edit
- Dr. Cristina Yang
- Dr. Meredith Grey
- Dr. Alex Karev
- Dr. George O'Malley
- Dr. Lexie Grey
- 2 unidentified male interns
- 2 unidentified female interns
- Unknown resident
Seasons 9 and 10Edit
The season 9 interns were all assigned to unknown residents.
- Dr. Jo Wilson
- Dr. Shane Ross
- Dr. Leah Murphy
- Dr. Stephanie Edwards
- Dr. Heather Brooks (until death)
Seasons 11 to 13Edit
- Dr. Stephanie Edwards (until quitting)
The season 14 interns are currently assigned to Jo Karev.
Notes and TriviaEdit
- According to Bailey, ER interns don't know the ass from the esophagus.
- Bailey has described her former interns as such: Alex was lazy, Izzie was whiny, Meredith was downright depressing, and Cristina was annoying. In the first episode, Bailey said, "George O'Malley is a puppy." Later, she said George was her favorite.
- Curiously, the season 9 interns were always on the services of attending surgeons. In earlier seasons, interns were always seen assisting their residents rather than being on an attending's service.
- Throughout the course of the series, all of Bailey's interns have been on the operating table at least once.
- According to Callie, psych interns aren't the sharpest.
- It's unknown how it gets decided which resident interns get assigned to. Over the course of the series, residents from different years have been assigned interns.
- In the first season, the five interns get assigned to Bailey, a fourth year resident at the time.
- In season four, the new interns get assigned to second year residents.
- In season seven, fourth-year resident Alex mentions having interns.
- In season eight, Lexie is assigned interns in her fourth year.
- In season eleven, Stephanie first is assigned interns while in her fourth year.
- In season fourteen, Jo is assigned her first group of interns while in her fifth year.
- While a medical intern is also a first-year internal medicine resident, Grey's Anatomy utilizes the term surgical intern for first-year surgical residents.
- In order to practice unsupervised medicine as a resident, an intern must pass the final part of United States Medical Licensing Exam, otherwise known as the Intern Test.