An intern is a term used for a doctor in training who has completed medical school. An intern has a medical degree, but does not have a full license to practice medicine unsupervised and so are taught by their residents and attendings.
Surgical Interns and Their ResidentsEdit
Miranda Bailey's InternsEdit
- Meredith Grey
- Cristina Yang
- Izzie Stevens
- George O'Malley
- Alex Karev (Originally Jeremy's intern; reassigned to Bailey in The First Cut Is the Deepest)
Meredith Grey's InternsEdit
- George O'Malley (repeated intern year, later became second year resident as of Brave New World/There's No 'I' in Team)
- Megan Nowland
- Young Male Intern
Cristina Yang's InternsEdit
- Lexie Grey (#3)
- Dani Mandvi (#4; reassigned to O'Malley as of There's No 'I' in Team)
- Steve Mostow (#2)
- Ryan Spalding (#4.2; became her intern as of Life During Wartime)
- Unnamed male African-American intern (#1, presumably)
Izzie Stevens' InternsEdit
Alex Karev's InternsEdit
- Dr. Pierce Halley (reassigned to O'Malley as of There's No 'I' in Team)
- Sadie Harris (became his intern as of All By Myself, quit in Before and After)
- Norman Shales (became his intern as of Let the Truth Sting, quit in Haunt You Every Day)
- Unnamed male Asian intern
George O'Malley's InternsEdit
Richard Webber's InternsEdit
- George O'Malley: To win his wife back, Richard Webber tried to show he was delegating and tricked George into becoming the unnoficial "Chief's intern". After George realized the truth, he quit but Richard apologized and George continued to be the unnofficial chief's intern until he passed his examination.
Season 9 InternsEdit
- Jo Wilson
- Shane Ross
- Leah Murphy
- Stephanie Edwards
- Heather Brooks
- Ben Warren
Stephanie Edwards' InternsEdit
Season 12 InternsEdit
Notes and TriviaEdit
- According to Bailey, ER interns don't know the ass from the esophagus.
- Bailey has described her former interns as such: Alex was lazy, Izzie was whiny, Meredith was downright depressing, and Cristina was annoying. In the first episode, Bailey said, "George O'Malley is a puppy." Later, she said George was her favorite.
- Curiously, the season 9 interns were always on the services of attending surgeons. In earlier seasons, interns were always seen assisting their residents rather than being on an attending's service.
- Throughout the course of the series, all of Bailey's interns have been on the operating table at least once.
- According to Callie, psych interns aren't the sharpest.
- It's unknown how it gets decided which resident interns get assigned to. Over the course of the series, residents from different years have been assigned interns.
- In the first season, the five interns get assigned to Bailey, a fourth year resident at the time.
- In season four, the new interns get assigned to second year residents.
- In season seven, Alex mentions having interns.
- In season eight, Lexie is assigned interns in her fourth year.
- In season eleven, Stephanie first is assigned interns while in her fifth year, whereas Jo hadn't ever been assigned interns.
- While a medical intern is also a first-year internal medicine resident, Grey's Anatomy utilizes the term surgical intern for first-year surgical residents.
- In order to practice unsupervised medicine as a resident, an intern must pass the final part of United States Medical Licensing Exam, otherwise known as the Intern Test.