|Season 8, episode 8|
|Derek and Lexie are surprised when a patient refuses to have surgery because she has to finish writing her book.|
November 3, 2011
- "Say you're in the O.R. repairing a vena cava, when suddenly, everything goes to hell. So you cut this, suture that and soon that crappy situation is a thing of the past. Too bad you can't meet all of life's challenges with a surgical scalpel. I mean, you could try. But I'm pretty sure that'd be considered assault. It's a little bit horrifying just how quickly everything can fall to crap. Sometimes it takes a huge loss to remind you of what you care about the most. Sometimes you find yourself becoming stronger as a result, wiser, better equipped to deal with the next big disaster that comes along. Sometimes. But not always."
- —Meredith Grey
The doctors become nostalgic when George O'Malley's mother, Louise, returns to Seattle Grace for medical help after a botched surgery at a neighboring hospital; the residents are inspired by a medical miracle when they witness a harvested heart that continues to beat outside the body; a new pediatric fellow excites Arizona and makes Alex feel threatened; Jackson lets his suspicions about Mark and Lexie interfere with his work; and Henry and Teddy have their first marital fight when he expresses interest in pursuing medical school.
Full Summary Edit
Episode in detail.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber
- Sara Ramírez as Dr. Callie Torres
- Eric Dane as Dr. Mark Sloan
- Chyler Leigh as Dr. Lexie Grey
- Kevin McKidd as Dr. Owen Hunt
- Jessica Capshaw as Dr. Arizona Robbins
- Kim Raver as Dr. Teddy Altman
- Sarah Drew as Dr. April Kepner
- Jesse Williams as Dr. Jackson Avery
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd
- Debra Monk as Louise O'Malley
- Vedette Lim as Dr. Polly Preston
- Scott Foley as Henry Burton
- Alfre Woodard as Justine Campbell
- Keong Sim as Dr. Park
- Martin Yu as CT Tech
- Anthony Johnson as Transplant Surgeon
- Teresa Huang as OR Nurse
Medical Notes Edit
|"Shoot Me"||Miss Li||
|"How Come You Never Go There"||Feist||
|"I Can't Get You Off My Mind"||Miss Li||
|"Where Do I Even Start?"||Morgan Taylor Reid||
|"Addicted"||Morgan Page feat. Greg Laswell||
|"Looking For You Again"||Matthew Perryman Jones||
Notes and Trivia Edit
- This episode's title originated from the song Heart-Shaped Box, originally sung by Nirvana.
- This episode scored 9.52 million viewers.
Behind the ScenesEdit
- Mark: It's you and me, the plastics posse. Kicking ass and taking names.
- April: I'm not going to rearrange the whole surgical schedule because you're having girl problems. Suck it up!
- Alex: George is dead and Izzie's gone. We're all different.
|Grey's Anatomy Season 8|
|#01||"Free Falling"||#09||"Dark Was the Night"||#17||"One Step Too Far"|
|#02||"She's Gone"||#10||"Suddenly"||#18||"The Lion Sleeps Tonight"|
|#03||"Take the Lead"||#11||"This Magic Moment"||#19||"Support System"|
|#04||"What is It About Men"||#12||"Hope for the Hopeless"||#20||"The Girl with No Name"|
|#05||"Love, Loss and Legacy"||#13||"If/Then"||#21||"Moment of Truth"|
|#06||"Poker Face"||#14||"All You Need is Love"||#22||"Let the Bad Times Roll"|
|#07||"Put Me In, Coach”"||#15||"Have You Seen Me Lately?"||#23||"Migration"|
|#08||"Heart-Shaped Box"||#16||"If Only You Were Lonely"||#24||"Flight"|
|<< Season 7||Season 9 >>|