The Harper Avery Award is a fictional, famous medical award. It was created by physician Harper Avery to make surgeons who already are on the top of their game try to take it to an even higher level. Every year, the five nominees receive a call to inform them about their nomination on the same Friday of the same month at 8 am East Coast time (5 am in Seattle).
The Harper Avery Award is completely detached from the Harper Avery Foundation, so members of the Foundation have no say in who will win the award, nor do they have more information about who will be elected as the winner.
Notes and TriviaEdit
- Erica Hahn was one of the considered applicants for the award for 2008 or 2009. Unfortunately for her, her rival Preston Burke won instead. Erica Hahn decided that it was because it was a big men's club, it didn't make sense because she worked harder and published more.
- Cristina was a very big help to Preston Burke but Burke did not mention her anywhere in the article.
- The Harper Avery was named after Shonda Rhimes' daughter Harper.
- When she didn't get her promotion, Callie Torres told the Chief she would win the Harper Avery Award and he would "rue the day."
- In an alternate universe in which Cristina decides to start a family, she handed over her trial to Shane Ross, who received an award for it.
- Dr. Jackson Avery is the grandson of Harper Avery.
- Cristina Yang embarrassed herself in front of Harper Avery when he came in after an accident, by misdiagnosing him. She thought this would ruin the chances of her one day winning the Award, yet in 2014 she gets nominated.
- In season 7, Jackson Avery stepped out of the Chief's clinical trial, because he felt that it had a shot to win the award, but he was afraid that if his name was on it, he'd ruin Richard's chances.