|“||In the early days of medicine, surgical students would perfect their sewing techniques on tree branches. Because when looking at an exposed bone in an amputation, human instinct is to recoil, not cut. We needed students to get out of the habit of listening to instinct. A lot of our training is breaking instinct, developing new habits. Don't react to bad news in front of patients. Don't show fear when faced with uncertainty. When you're looking at that exposed bone, cut. So the trick is trying to stay human when we’ve shut down all those gut feelings, all those messy instincts. So what about those times when there is no road map? Should we go with our gut then? If instinct is all we have, it's not always a bad thing. It can bring us wonderful places, joyful places. And it can also serve an important service, 'cause our gut is usually what warns us when trouble lies ahead.||”|
Meredith works on a patient who happens to specialize in matchmaking, and a seemingly drunk patient pushes Richard's buttons and gives him a medical mystery to solve. Meanwhile, Maggie tries to reach Teddy after bearing the burden of her secret becomes overwhelming as she struggles with issues in her own personal life.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber
- Kevin McKidd as Dr. Owen Hunt
- Jesse Williams as Dr. Jackson Avery (credit only)
- Caterina Scorsone as Dr. Amelia Shepherd
- Camilla Luddington as Dr. Jo Karev
- Kelly McCreary as Dr. Maggie Pierce
- Giacomo Gianniotti as Dr. Andrew DeLuca
- Kim Raver as Dr. Teddy Altman (credit only)
- Jason George as Ben Warren
- Greg Germann as Dr. Thomas Koracick
- Chris Carmack as Dr. Atticus Lincoln
- Stacey Oristano as Nurse Frankie
- Caroline Clay as Cece Colvin
- Mark L. Taylor as Dave Buckley
- Jake Borelli as Dr. Levi Schmitt
- Rushi Kota as Dr. Vik Roy
- Jaicy Elliot as Taryn Helm
- Alex Landi as Nico Kim
- Mashari Laila Bain as Ava Krug
- Ruben Dario as Brad Gailis
- Lisa Linke as Melissa Gailis
- Lisa Roumain as Cop
- Kurt Kanazawa as Tad
- Terrell Ransom Jr. as Arthur Krug
- Aniela Gumbs as Zola
- Grace Rowe as Paramedic Grace
- Michael Rogers as Paramedic 2
- Vivian Nixon as Hannah
- Frances Nichols as Nurse Karen
- Facial contusions
Arthur was injured when a block of wood flew at him after a teacher collapsed and pushed a student into a table saw. None of the bones in his face were broken, so he was discharged.
- Traumatic amputation
- Auto-brewery syndrome
Dave was injured when he collapsed at work and pushed a student into a table saw. Two of his fingers were partially amputated by the saw. His labs showed a very high blood alcohol level. His fingers were damaged beyond repair, so Link took him into surgery to remove them. After his surgery, his blood alcohol level was high again. That led Richard to diagnose him with auto-brewery syndrome, meaning sugar in his body was turned into alcohol.
- Impaled saw
- Surgical extraction
Kevin was brought in with a table saw impaled in his chest after his teacher collapsed while helping him guide wood into the saw. The blade was deep in his chest, so Maggie wanted a CT Angio before surgery. Despite this, Owen took him directly to surgery. In surgery, they removed the saw, but there was no blood flow to his arm. They worked to restore blood flow and were able to save his arm. He was later stable in the PACU.
- Kidney failure
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Translumbar catheter
Cece was receiving her eighth day of dialysis. She developed peritonitis, which meant they couldn't use that to do dialysis anymore and needed to find another way to get access. Meredith later had the idea to get access from the back with a translumbar catheter.
- Posterior nose bleed
- Blood transfusion
Tad came into the ER with a nosebleed. Vik told him to hold pressure and said he'd come back to pack it. Vik went back five hours later and Ted started coughing up blood. Koracick stepped in to help, but quickly learn Vik hadn't done an exam or ordered labs. He criked Tad and put in an IO line, but they were unable to get enough access to transfuse effectively, so he was pronounced dead at 17:57.
|"Come This Far"||Chloe Kohanski||
|"Body Is Moving"||Claire Guerreso||
|"Hi-Lo (Hollow)"||Bishop Briggs||
|"Getting Started"||Tommy Ashby||
Notes and TriviaEdit
- This episode's title originated from the song Gut Feeling, originally sung by Devo.
- This episode scored 6.61 million viewers.
- This is the first episode where Jo Karev wears navy blue scrubs in the real timeline. She was seen wearing them before in Do You Know?, but that was in a future as imagined by Cristina.
Behind the ScenesEdit
A complete overview of this episode's crew can be found here.
|Grey's Anatomy Season 15|
|#01||"With a Wonder and a Wild Desire"||#09||"15.09"||#17||"15.17"|
|#04||"Momma Knows Best"||#12||"15.12"||#20||"15.20"|
|#06||"Flowers Grow Out of My Grave"||#14||"15.14"||#22||"15.22"|
|#07||"Anybody Have a Map?"||#15||"15.15"||#23||"15.23"|
|<< Season 14|