General surgery is a surgical specialty that focuses on abdominal organs, such as the intestines, esophagus, liver, pancreas and kidneys; endocrine organs, such as the thyroid gland (depending on the availability of head and neck surgery specialists) and the adrenal glands; blood vessels, such as the abdominal aorta and other abdominal related problems such as hernias and abscesses.
Notable General surgeons in Grey's Anatomy/Private Practice Edit
- Dr. Richard Webber (Attending Surgeon at Seattle Grace Hospital)
- Dr. Miranda Bailey (Attending Surgeon at Seattle Grace Hospital)
- Dr. Sydney Heron (Final year resident at Seattle Grace Hospital)
- Dr. Owen Hunt (Head of Trauma at Seattle Grace Hospital, Former Army Surgeon)
- Dr. Callie Torres (Attending Orthopedic Surgeon at Seattle Grace Hospital)
- Dr. Ellis Grey (Former Surgical Resident at Seattle Grace Hospital)
- Meredith Grey (Attending General Surgeon)
Surgical Procedures Edit
- Appendectomy: Surgical removal of the appendix.
- Cholecystectomy: Surgical removal of the gallbladder.
- Laparoscopic procedures: Procedures taking place using this method are carried out using small incisions in the body, typically 1-2cm, with tools being placed into the body through these holes, including a camera, to perform the procedure. Commonly used for appendectomies and cholecystectomies.
- Laparotomy: Cutting into the abdomen to gain access to the abdominal organs. This may be the first step of the procedure (therapeutic) where the surgeons know the area they need to access, or it may not be (diagnostic, or exploratory) where they are looking for a cause of illness, more commonly carried out in trauma cases.
- Domino Transplant of Kidneys (There's No 'I' in Team): Bailey heads up a surgical team to arrange the nephrectomy and transplantation of six kidneys between six pairs of patients.
- Resection of leiomyosarcoma with celiac, splenic and left gastric arterial involvement (Life During Wartime): Tori Begler has an abdominal tumor that is wrapped around multiple artieries and multiple abdominal organs are affected, deemed removable. The Chief, Bailey and Hahn perform an ex-vivo resection and autotransplantation, that is, removing all her abdominal organs, removing the tumor and transplanting her organs back into her body.