When famed neurosurgeon Dr. Ginsberg and her team pay a visit to St. Ambrose to save the life of Kayla, Addison is shocked to see Amelia Shepherd - Derek's younger sister on the team. But Amelia's presence causes strife between Addison, Sam and Pete when she claims she can save Kayla's life after Dr. Ginsberg declares nothing can be done. Meanwhile, Charlotte seeks from Cooper's with a sex education seminar for the elderly that only leads to more tension between the two, as they try to figure out how to work together.
Episode in detail.
- Kate Walsh as Dr. Addison Montgomery
- Tim Daly as Dr. Pete Wilder
- Audra McDonald as Dr. Naomi Bennett (credit only)
- Paul Adelstein as Dr. Cooper Freedman
- KaDee Strickland as Dr. Charlotte King
- Chris Lowell as Dell Parker (credit only)
- Taye Diggs as Dr. Sam Bennett
- Amy Brenneman as Dr. Violet Turner
- Nora Dunn as Dr. Geraldine Ginsberg
- Michael Patrick Thornton as Dr. Gabriel Fife
- Caterina Scorsone as Dr. Amelia Shepherd
- Christina Chang as Vanessa Hoyt
- Derek Phillips as Eddie Lindy
- Judith Hoag as Angie McConnell
- Michael Reilly Burke as Simon McConnell
- Monica Keena as Kayla Lindy
- Jack Axelrod as Oscar Schmitt
Kayla, 32, was still in a coma after six weeks. Her husband called in Geraldine Ginsberg, a neurosurgeon, to try to wake her up. Ginsberg examined her and ordered tests. The tests revealed signs of a permanent vegetative state. Ginsberg didn't believe she could help, but Amelia suggested a possible solution. Ginsberg said it wouldn't work and fired her, so Amelia stayed behind and agreed to do the surgery herself. The McConnells asked her not to operate because the fetuses were close to viability. In surgery, Kayla started throwing clots, so Addison did a c-section and delivered all three babies. After Sam finished busting the clots, Amelia finished her procedure. After the surgery, Kayla's reflexes started to improve as she woke up.
- Sheldon Wallace (psychiatrist)
Sheldon had to attend an intervention for a patient of his.
- Prostate cancer
Oscar, 80, said he'd been having sex and had pain in his pelvis, which limited his ability to get in the mood. He wanted meds to help his libido. Cooper suggested he make an appointment to see Charlotte to get an exam. She diagnosed prostate cancer. She suggested radiation. He was concerned about erectile dysfunction occurring as a result of the radiation. She said he'd have four or five years without the treatment. Cooper went and spoke to him to try to convince him to go through treatment. He was able to convince Oscar that treatment was the best option for him.
- NICU Care
One of the babies wasn't breathing. Addison intubated, but she still had no pulse. She tried again and got a pulse. They then took her to the NICU for bypass.
Babies Two and ThreeEdit
- NICU care
The other two babies were also taken to the NICU for supportive care.
|"Ca Plane Pour Moi"||Nouvelle Vague||
|"I'm a Realist"||The Cribs||
|"Wait a Minute Here"||The Robotanist||
|"Follow Me Back Into the Sun"||The Rescues||
Notes and TriviaEdit
- This episode scored 7.82 million viewers.
- Caterina Scorsone makes her first appearance as Amelia Shepherd. She becomes a main character as of Season 4.
A complete overview of this episode's crew can be found here.
|Private Practice Season 3|
|#01||"A Death in the Family"||#09||"The Parent Trap"||#17||"Triangles"|
|#02||"The Way We Were"||#10||"Blowups"||#18||"Pulling the Plug"|
|#03||"Right Here, Right Now"||#11||"Another Second Chance"||#19||"Eyes Wide Open"|
|#04||"Pushing the Limits"||#12||"Best Laid Plans"||#20||"Second Choices"|
|#06||"Slip Slidin' Away"||#14||"Love Bites"||#22||"In the Name of Love"|
|#07||"The Hard Part"||#15||"'Til Death Do Us Part"||#23||"The End of a Beautiful Friendship"|
|#08||"Sins of the Father"||#16||"Fear of Flying"|
|<< Season 2||Season 4 >>|