|Death and All His Friends|
|Season 6, episode 24|
|Meredith talks Cristina into operating on Derek.|
May 20, 2010
- "The human life is made up of choices. Yes or no? In or out? Up or down? And then there are the choices that matter: to love or hate, to be a hero or to be a coward, to fight or to give in, to live or die... Live or die? That's the important choice, and it's not always in our hands. Yes or no? In or out? Up or down? Live or die? Hero or coward? Fight or give in? I'll say it again, to make sure you hear me: the human life is made up of choices. Live or die? That's the important choice… and it's not always in our hands."
- —Derek Shepherd
Cristina and Meredith's surgical skills are put to the ultimate test when Derek and Owen get shot.
Full Summary Edit
Derek, in a voiceover, said life was full of choices and the last was whether to live or die. He struggled to breathe while Mr. Clark pointed the gun at Dr. Kepner, who rapidly threw out facts about her life, her family, where she was from, and begged Mr. Clark not to kill her. He told her to run, so she did. Mr. Clark saw the SWAT team enter the hospital, so he turned and walked away, leaving Derek clinging to life.
Cristina tried to keep Meredith from going after Derek, and told her that if she wanted to leave she'd have to go through her. So Meredith grabbed Cristina and tossed her against a wall and ran to find Derek.
Meredith got to Derek and told him to stay alive. Cristina caught up to her and saw how much blood Derek had lost and knew they had to operate on him quickly. She went to get a wheelchair and found Kepner, who was still in shock.
Alex told Sloan to eat more bacon and have more sex because you never know when you're going to die. Lexie ran into Mr. Clark in the hallway and immediately recognized him. He told her he didn't mean to kill all those people. He only meant to kill Derek and Dr. Webber -- and Lexie. He said she was the one who unplugged his wife's respirator, that her hands killed his wife. He raised his gun and Lexie took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Then -- a gunshot. But we next saw Lexie hiding and Mr. Clark lying on the ground. A SWAT team member signaled to Lexie to move away, so she did.
Lexie went back into the room and told Alex to pull through. She said the whole thing was her fault because she pulled the plug on his wife. She told Alex she loved him and begged him not to die.
In peds, Callie and Arizona were treating their patient when Mr. Clark walked in. Arizona saw the gun and told him, "There are only children here." She then turned around and covered the litle girl with her body, repeating over and over "There are only children here". Callie carefully and quietly gave Mr. Clark bandages and told him to press them to the wound and go. He thanked her and left. Callie went back to calm the little girl and Arizona, by talking about how great of a doctor she is and talked about her magical smile.
Cristina made the plan to find Teddy and operate on Derek. He was holding on, laying on the surgical table, and asked Meredith to kiss him. Cristina and Kepner found Avery, who told them there was no attending surgeon on the floor. They decided Cristina was going to operate on Derek.
Cristina braced herself for the surgery and told Meredith she couldn't be in the room. She gave Kepner orders to keep Meredith out of the room.
Alex was in shock and looked up to see Lexie, but was saying, "Izzie, I'm sorry." He asked her not to leave him again. Lexie cried as she played along. A SWAT team member came into the room and told Lexie and Sloan their floor was clear and they were being evacuated.
Dr. Webber was outside talking to the cops, but when the commanding officer turned to find him again, he was gone. Hunt and Teddy made it out of the hospital but Hunt wanted to go back in for Cristina. Teddy told him he should, so he did.
Webber was inside the hospital too. Meredith told Kepner to stop crying, that Derek was Meredith's husband, and that Kepner didn't get to cry over him. Kepner told Meredith that Reed was her "best friend and she died today." Meredith held her hand.
Sloan and Lexie brought Alex outside and Alex was taken to another hospital. In surgery, Cristina found the bullet right next to the aorta and she didn't know what to do but she made a plan.
Bailey and Mary, meanwhile, were dragging Charles through the hallway but when they got to the elevators, they were off. Bailey freaked out for a moment, then gathered herself and went to sit with Charles. When he asked if he was dying, she said yes. She told him she and Mary were going to stay with him.
Hunt showed up and Meredith told him what was going on. He looked through the window and said she appeared to be doing fine but he'd go in to see what he could do to help. When Hunt went inside, we saw that Mr. Clark was in the room with a gun to Cristina's head, shouting at her to stop fixing Derek and to let him die. Cristina and Avery refused to stop working. Hunt told Mr Clark that if he shot Cristina, that he would kill him.
Mr. Clark told Hunt that he'd shoot him first and then Cristina but he really only wanted to kill Derek. "An eye for an eye," he said. Meredith then came into the room and told Mr. Clark to shoot her. She explained that she's Lexie's sister, she's the closest thing Webber has to a daughter, and she's Derek's wife.
"If you want them to hurt the way you hurt, shoot me," she told him. "I'm your eye for an eye."
He turned the gun toward Meredith, but Cristina said Meredith was pregnant. Hunt made a move toward Mr. Clark and was shot. Cristina and Avery then raised their hands and Avery told Mr. Clark that Derek would die and he could watch it happen on the monitor. Derek flat-lined and Meredith cried almost hysterically. Mr. Clark walked out.
When he was gone Avery reattached Derek's heart monitors and his pulse reappeared on the screen. Cristina went back to work and asked Meredith to check on Hunt and see if he was dead. Meredith said he was alive and Cristina asked her to take him to another O.R. and fix him. Cristina then asked Avery to remind her to thank him later.
Charles was still dying and told Bailey that he didn't hurt anymore, which he knew was a bad sign. He asked Bailey to find Reed afterward and let her know he always had a crush on her and he didn't think she knew. Mary said Reed knew because girls always know. Charles died.
Meredith was trying to treat Hunt's gunshot when she felt a strong pain. Kepner was worried Meredith had been shot, then discovered blood spreading down Meredith's thighs. Meredith knew she was having a miscarriage but still proceeded to work on Hunt.
Webber walked through the halls of the hospital and found some bodies. He found Mr. Clark, who told him he'd bought the gun at a superstore and bought extra ammo because it was on sale. He said he couldn't bring it all in his pockets because he wanted to bring his flask. He asked Webber to open it for him and Webber did. Mr. Clark took a swig and said he wasn't much of a drinker, but figured he'd need some "liquid courage." He offered Webber a drink and he declined.
Mr. Clark told Webber he only had one bullet left. He said he planned on shooting Webber, then himself.
"Then it seems you have a bit of a problem," Webber said.
Mr. Clark offered Webber a drink again. He took the flask, smelled the vodka and spilled it out. Webber told Mr. Clark his choice was really between a life in prison or a possible afterlife with his wife. The SWAT team walked in and we heard a gunshot, but didn't see what happened.
Derek went into shock and needed to be defibrillated.
Meanwhile, Mary reunited with her husband outside the hospital, Bailey searched for Reed, Callie and Arizona had a moment and talked about having "all kinds of kids."
Derek's heartbeat returned to normal. Everyone sighed, including Hunt and Meredith, who were now in the room.
We see the bridge cordoned off with yellow crime scene tape. Webber walked and saw Derek's blood stain as police took pictures. I guess we know what choice Mr Clark made. The commanding officer found him and shook his hand.
Mark and Lexie showed up at the other hospital. Alex was out of surgery. Lexie went to Alex. Mark watched Lexie take Alex's hand.
Meredith took another look at her positive pregnancy test as Derek's voiceover repeated, "Human life is made up of choices: Live or die, that's the important choice."
As Meredith tossed the pregnancy stick in the trash, Derek's voiceover said, "...and it's not always in our hands."
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber
- Sara Ramírez as Dr. Callie Torres
- Eric Dane as Dr. Mark Sloan
- Chyler Leigh as Dr. Lexie Grey
- Kevin McKidd as Dr. Owen Hunt
- Jessica Capshaw as Dr. Arizona Robbins
- Kim Raver as Dr. Teddy Altman
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd
- Michael O'Neill as Gary Clark
- Tom Irwin as Marty Hancock
- Robert Baker as Dr. Charles Percy
- Sarah Drew as Dr. April Kepner
- Jesse Williams as Dr. Jackson Avery
- Ryan Devlin as Bill Portman
- Mandy Moore as Mary Portman
- Adam Shapiro as Pete
- China Anderson as Ruby
- Kevin Dunigan as Swat Guy
- Liz Wicker as Officer #1
- Jay Sefton as Officer #2
- Melvin Abston as Officer #3
Medical Notes Edit
- Diagnosis: Gunshot wound to the chest
- Doctors: Cristina Yang and Jackson Avery
- Treatment: Cardiac surgery
When Meredith and Cristina approached him, they noticed he had a lot of blood loss, and he needed surgery right away. Together with Meredith and April, Cristina rushed Derek into an OR. After the OR was set up for a cardiac surgery, Cristina operated on him together with Jackson and two OR nurses and the anesthesiologist from Teddy and Owen's finished surgery.
However, during surgery, Gary Clark entered the OR and threatened to shoot Cristina if she didn't stop operating right away. Owen came in and tried to tackle Gary, only to be shot himself. During this distraction, Jackson detached Derek's heart monitors. While Derek was "flat-lining", he told Gary that Derek was dying. After Gary walked out, Jackson reattached the monitors and Cristina successfully finished the surgery.
- Diagnosis: Gunshot wound to the shoulder
- Doctors: Callie Torres
- Treatment: Bandages to stop the bleeding
Gary Clark was shot in his shoulder by SWAT-member while he was pointing his gun at Lexie.
Trying to tackle the shooter, Owen got shot himself.
Meredith took him to the OR opposite to the one in which Cristina was operating on Derek, to treat his GSW. April told Meredith to irrigate the wound and to give Owen antibiotics. However, the wound wasn't bad and Meredith had stop treating it because she was having a miscarriage.
While treating Owen's gunshoot wound, Meredith had a miscarriage because of the stress she suffered during the hospital shooting.
- "In My Veins" - Andrew Belle
- "Unarmed" - Mariah McManus
- "The Way It Ends" - Landon Pigg
This episode's title originated from the song Death and All His Friends, originally sung by Coldplay.
Notes and Trivia Edit
- This episode's title originated from the song Death and All His Friends, originally sung by Coldplay.
- This episode scored 16.13 million viewers.
- The season six DVD boxset includes an extended cut of this episode which is an hour long.
- Sarah Drew revealed on Twitter that this episode, along with Sanctuary, was her favorite season 6 episode to film.
- April: (when Mr. Clark is pointing the gun at her) My name...my name is April Kepner. I'm 28 years old, and I was born on April 23rd in, in Ohio. I'm from C-Columbus. Columbus, Ohio. Um, my mom, my mom is a teacher, and m-my dad is a farmer. Corn. C-corn. He, he, he grows corn. Their, their names are Karen and Joe. (crying harder) I have three sisters! Libby's the oldest. I, I'm next, and then there's K-Kimmy and Alice. I, I, I haven't done anything yet. I haven't...I've barely lived! I, I'm not finished yet. No one's loved me yet. Please. Please. I'm someone's child! I'm a person! I'm a person!
- Gary Clark: Run.
- (April runs away)
- Charles: (to Dr. Bailey before he dies) You were always my favorite doctor. I thought you should know.
- Meredith: Hold on, okay? Hold on. I love you. Please don't die.
- Derek: Get out of here, Meredith, before he shoots you, too.
- Meredith: Don't die. Do you understand? I can't live without you. If you die, I die.
- Cristina: I called the police.
- Meredith: Okay, good, the police are coming. They're coming.
- Cristina: Mer, Mer. They're not gonna get here. They're not coming for us. Not in time. Oh, God, Mer.
- Meredith: I picked you. I choose you. You don't die on me!
- Lexie: (trembling) Oh, Mr. Clark...
- Gary Clark: I didn't plan to shoot all those people.
- Lexie: Of course, you didn't.... No, you were sad, you were... You were grieving.
- Gary Clark: I only planned to shoot Dr. Shepherd. And Dr. Webber. ... And you. (points gun at her) You unplugged the machines. Your hands killed my Alison.
- Ruby: (crying) I want my mommy!
- Callie: All right, okay. I know. I know you do and she's gonna be back soon, but you know what, until she gets here, you have the best doctor in the whole world with you right now. (Ruby stops crying, Callie looks at Arizona who is still shaken and crying from seeing Mr. Clark.) Yeah. Dr. Robbins is the best doctor in this entire hospital. I think in the whole world. Yeah, people, feel so much better after she helps them, sometimes people feel better just after she walks in the room. 'Cause she has got this super magic smile. (Callie looks at Arizona.) Yeah, and when she smiles at you, (Arizona finally looks at Callie.) everything gets better. You don't know it 'cause you have your back to her right now, but she is giving you... Wow, she is giving you her best super magic smile. (Callie smiles.) Isn't that right, Dr. Robbins?
- Arizona: Right. I am. I am.
- Callie: I gotta call the police and tell them what happened, okay?
- Arizona: I... I'm good. (Callie puts her hand on her cheek) I'm good.
- Jackson: (to Cristina after seeing her bloody scrubs) Is that your blood? Are you okay?
- Cristina: No. No... I'm fine. I'll go get Altman.
- Jackson: Altman's not down here.
- Cristina: Go get Hunt then.
- Jackson: They left.
- Cristina: What, they left?! Okay, you know what? Someone just shot Derek. He's got a GSW to the chest and he needs surgery right now. Tell me there is an attending on this floor.
- Jackson: April, in the OR behind, there are two OR nurses and an anesthesiologist. Get them. Tell them to set up for a cardiac procedure
- April: What? What, why? If we don't have a surgeon, what are we going to do?
- Jackson: (looking at Cristina) We have a surgeon.
- April: W..What? Who's going to operate on Dr. Shepherd?
- Cristina: I am.
- Cristina: (while operating on Derek, trying to find the bullet) It's right by the aorta.
- Jackson: You can do this.
- Cristina: I know that! I just wanted it to be easy. Not the hardest freakin' repair in the history of the world.
- Gary Clark: (while Cristina is operating on Derek) You stop or I will shoot you. (pointing a gun at Cristina's head)
- Owen: Hey! Hey! That is the woman I love. If you shoot her, touch her, I will kill you!
- Gary Clark: (turns the gun on Owen) And I said stay back. Maybe I'll shoot you first. I shoot you then I shoot her and I shoot Shepherd. Is that what you want? (Owen shakes his head) I didn't come here for this. My wife is dead. He's responsible. I came here for justice, an eye for an eye. The only person I want in this room is Shepherd. Now back off! You step away from that table. (turns his gun back to Cristina)
- Cristina: (crying) Please.
- Meredith: (walks in) Shoot me.
- Cristina: Meredith.
- Meredith: You want justice, right? Your wife died. I know what happened. Derek told me the story. Lexie Grey is the one who pulled the plug on your wife. She's my sister. Dr. Webber, he was your wife's doctor. I'm the closest thing he has to a daughter. And the man on the table, I'm his wife. If you want to hurt them the way that you hurt, shoot me. I'm your eye for an eye.
- Cristina: Meredith.
- (Mr. Clark points the gun at Meredith and walks toward her.)
- Meredith: Tell Derek that I love him and that I'm sorry.
- Cristina: Meredith... Wait, wait, wait, wait. She's pregnant. You wouldn't shoot a woman who's pregnant? Please.
- (Owen tries to tackle Mr. Clark; Mr. Clark shoots Owen)
- Jackson: Raise your hands. Trust me, raise you hands. He's going to shoot again, raise your hands!
- Cristina: I'm stopping, I'm stopping!
- Meredith: No!
- Cristina: See? See? I've stopped.
- Jackson: Listen to me. In a few seconds his heart is gonna pump all the blood into his chest and stop beating. You'll see it on the monitor, just wait. Wait for it. Watch the monitor and wait for it.
- Meredith: (sobbing) Please, don't stop!
- Jackson: (to Meredith) Shut up!
- Meredith: (sobbing) No, no. (Derek flatlines) No, Derek! No, no, no. (sobs harder)
- Cristina: See? It's over. It's over. He's dead. (Meredith wails as Mr. Clark leaves the OR)
- Cristina: Mer, is Owen dead? Dr. Grey, is Owen dead?
- Meredith: (checks on Owen) He's, he's alive, he's unconscious but he's alive.
- Cristina: Take Owen to the OR across the way and take that bullet out, and get April to help you.
- Meredith: Cristina!
- Cristina: I can't talk right now I'm trying to save your guy. Now please go try save mine. (Meredith leaves) Remind me to thank you later.
- Jackson: I will.
- Arizona: I'm gonna go see if kids need help finding their parents.
- Callie: People died. People are dead. I, I don't want to have kids if it means I can't be with you.
- Arizona: No. No. We'll have kids. We'll have all kinds of kids, and I always thought I wasn't cut out to be a mom, but you'll be a great mom. You'll be an amazing mom, and I love you so much, and I can't live without you and our ten kids...
- (Callie interrupts her with a passionate kiss.)
|Grey's Anatomy Season 6|
|#01||"Good Mourning"||#09||"New History"||#17||"Push"|
|#02||"Goodbye"||#10||"Holidaze"||#18||"Suicide is Painless"|
|#03||"I Always Feel Like Somebody's Watchin' Me"||#11||"Blink"||#19||"Sympathy for the Parents"|
|#04||"Tainted Obligation"||#12||"I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked"||#20||"Hook, Line and Sinner"|
|#05||"Invasion"||#13||"State of Love and Trust"||#21||"How Insensitive"|
|#06||"I Saw What I Saw"||#14||"Valentine's Day Massacre"||#22||"Shiny Happy People"|
|#07||"Give Peace a Chance”"||#15||"The Time Warp"||#23||"Sanctuary"|
|#08||"Invest in Love"||#16||"Perfect Little Accident"||#24||"Death and All His Friends"|
|<< Season 5||Season 7 >>|