|Season 6, episode 11|
|Arizona, Mark, and Addison exploring their options with Sloan's baby.|
January 14, 2010
- "We assume the really serious changes in our life happen slowly, over time. But it's not true. The big stuff happens in an instant. Becoming an adult. Becoming a parent. Becoming a doctor. One minute, you're not, and the next... you are. Ask any doctor, and they can point to the one moment they become a physician. It usually isn't med school graduation day. Whatever it is... nobody forgets it. Sometimes you don't even know anything's changed. You think you're still you and your life is still your life... but you wake up one day and you look around and you don't reognize anything. Not anything at all. You never forget the moment that you become a doctor. A switch flips. Suddenly, you're not playing dress-up anymore. You own the white coat. What you may not notice is the moment that being a doctor... changes you."
- —Meredith Grey
Mark flies Addison to Seattle to help with a difficult procedure on his pregnant daughter, Sloan, Owen questions Teddy's motives when she assigns Cristina the lead on a complicated surgery, and Derek's suspicions are raised when the Chief recruits Meredith to assist with a high profile operation.
Full Summary Edit
Episode in detail.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang
- Katherine Heigl as Dr. Izzie Stevens (credit only)
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber
- Sara Ramírez as Dr. Callie Torres
- Eric Dane as Dr. Mark Sloan
- Chyler Leigh as Dr. Lexie Grey
- Kevin McKidd as Dr. Owen Hunt
- Jessica Capshaw as Dr. Arizona Robbins
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd
Special Guest StarEdit
- Kim Raver as Dr. Teddy Altman
- Cynthia Stevenson as Ruthie Carlin
- Robert Baker as Dr. Charles Percy
- Nora Zehetner as Dr. Reed Adamson
- Leven Rambin as Sloan Riley
- Sinqua Walls as Tom Kates
- Mark Saul as Intern Steve
- Giselle Jones as Jessie Kates
- James DuMont as Sheldon Morris
- Amol Shah as Dr. Rob Stanton
- Jarrod Crawford as Dr. Oslow
- Kerri Higuchi as Dr. Elizabeth Chen
- Stephon Fuller as Gregor
|"Breaking News"||Jack Savoretti||
|"Hawthorne to Hennepin"||Clint Michigan||
|"Cosmic Love"||Florence + The Machine||
Notes and Trivia Edit
- This episode's title originated from the song Blink, originally sung by Moloko.
- This episode scored 12.78 million viewers.
- This is the first part of a Grey's Anatomy/Private Practice Crossover that ends with the Private Practice's episode Another Second Chance.
- Owen Hunt: (asking about Cristina's surgery) How is it going?
- Alex: Yang's killing her patient and Altman's reading "The Atlantic Monthly".
- Sloan Riley: So which one of you did he sleep with anyways?
- Arizona: Oh, not me!
- Addison: You told her?
- Mark: She's my kid. We were bonding.
- Addison: That is not how you bond with children!
- Mark: I'm still getting the hang of it.
- Sloan: So you're sure he didn't like knock you up and leave you with a child to raise on your own or something?
- Addison: Wha–?
- Sloan: You're not just like really pissed and trying to get revenge, right?
- Addison: No. No. It was a long time ago, okay? The fact is, Mark, your father, is a good guy and I think you're a good kid and I'm going to do everything I can to help you with your baby.
- Mark: I made a judgment call, you didn't like it. I'm sorry.
- Addison: You threw me on a plane in the middle of my morning coffee because you wanted my judgment.
- Mark: It was risky.
- Addison: That is not your call to make in my O.R.! You acted like a father. Why do you think they don't let parents in the room during an operation?
- Mark: I'm not her father, Addison. Biologically, yes, but … I just met the kid. I'm helping out.
- Addison: You reacted like a parent. Now, I don't know when, and I don't know how, but at some point you became a dad to that little urchin because you just lost it in my O.R. and Mark Sloan never loses it in the OR, not ever.
- Mark: I should've asked you first, but I was so excited, and I was so sure it was the right thing. And you know why? 'Cause of you. Since you, I know for the first time in my life what the right thing is.
- Lexie: I'm happy for you. I really am. Something happened to you today. You became a dad. A real one. And Sloan, against all odds, became a mom. But I didn't. I was barely ready to move in with you, never mind your daughter and a grandbaby. I... I just... I don't want this.
- Mark: You wanted to give your liver to your dad. This is what you do for family, right?
- Lexie: I understand why you're doing it. I just don't understand why I'm doing it.
- Mark: I think you're doing it for me.
- Lexie: Don't make me out to be the selfish one. You don't get to unilaterally decide to let a teenager and her infant move into our house.
- Mark: We'll get a bigger place. She needs us. Lexie, I thought I missed this. This is a chance for me. Don't make me choose between you and her.
- Lexie: Why? 'Cause you'll choose her?
- Mark: Yeah. I'll choose her.
- Lexie: I think our relationship just ended. (she kisses him goodbye)
- Bailey: You wanna show me the scan?
- Tom: Uh, how about we look at it over lunch?
- Bailey: I'm in the middle of a divorce. People call me the Nazi, and it's not because of my ice blue eyes. I spend 12 hours a day carving people up, and I like it. I have a child and I have no room for casual anything. I'm angry all the time. And deeply confused because a lot of people in my life have let me down recently, one of them was me. It's devastating, but not completely because it turns out I like sleeping crosswise in the bed and not having to shave my legs. My 3-year-old used to be potty trained, and now he isn't because his father no longer lives with us and his world no longer makes sense, and the only thing he thinks he can control is his bladder. So he urinates, in a lot of places you wish he wouldn't urinate. ... You want lunch or you want to show me the scan?
- Sloan Riley: Hey, um do you have any cash? I lost the headset to my phone.
- Lexie: How about you hold the phone up to your ear?
- Sloan Riley: You were the one who was bitching at me last night for being on the phone so late. Maybe if I had a headset, I wouldn't have to talk so loud.
- Lexie: Maybe if you had your own apartment, you could talk whenever you want, but we're all making compromises.
- Sloan Riley: I can't have a gimpy kid.
- Mark: Now, I know I haven't been your father for long, but you say "gimp" one more time, I'm gonna smack you.
- Alex: What're you doing in here?
- Lexie: (laying on the bed, holding a bottle of booze) Moving in.
- Alex: No, no, no. I'm sick of living in a damn trailer. Go live in Izzie's old room.
- Lexie: You go. She's your wife.
- Alex: I thought you were shacking up with what's-his-face. (sits down on the bed, and takes the bottle from her, and drinks it)
- Lexie: I'm not. I'm too young to be a grandmother. (laughs) I'm just supposed to be working like a dog and then come home and do stupid things, like bungee jumping. And Jell-o shots. I don't even know what people my own age do anymore.
- Alex: I know something stupid you can do. (he and Lexie kiss)
- Cristina: Did you see that? I mean, I'm holding a heart. I feel it almost starting to fibrillate in my hand! I mean, piss-poor aortic tissue, possibly irreparable, and then bam! Sutures hold and it comes back. I mean, please, I don't wanna see the face. I... I don't wanna hear what you have to say, I… I was fine. I was on fire! I was learning! I felt alive for the first time, in I don't know how long, Owen. It was like I had air in my lungs.
- Owen: She's leaving Seattle. It's just not gonna work for her.
- (Cristina stares at him in shock)
- Cristina: Dr. Altman, wait, wait. What do you want? More money? 'Cause I'll talk to the Chief.
- Teddy: No.
- Cristina: You know, they can set up a new cardio unit with a-- a research lab, or you could work with vets.
- Teddy: It isn't about that.
- Cristina: Wait, wait, wait. No one's ever believed in me like this. You believe in me more than I do. And I need that. I'm gonna die here without that.
- Teddy: (talking over her) Cristina it's more complicated than that.
- Cristina: (trying to talk over Teddy) Tell me what you want and I will make it happen…
- Teddy: I want Owen!
- Cristina: Fine. Take him!
|Grey's Anatomy Season 6|
|#01||"Good Mourning"||#09||"New History"||#17||"Push"|
|#02||"Goodbye"||#10||"Holidaze"||#18||"Suicide is Painless"|
|#03||"I Always Feel Like Somebody's Watchin' Me"||#11||"Blink"||#19||"Sympathy for the Parents"|
|#04||"Tainted Obligation"||#12||"I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked"||#20||"Hook, Line and Sinner"|
|#05||"Invasion"||#13||"State of Love and Trust"||#21||"How Insensitive"|
|#06||"I Saw What I Saw"||#14||"Valentine's Day Massacre"||#22||"Shiny Happy People"|
|#07||"Give Peace a Chance”"||#15||"The Time Warp"||#23||"Sanctuary"|
|#08||"Invest in Love"||#16||"Perfect Little Accident"||#24||"Death and All His Friends"|
|<< Season 5||Season 7 >>|