|Beat Your Heart Out|
|Season 5, episode 14|
|Derek receives a call from Addison.|
February 5, 2009
- "Any first year med student knows that an increase heart rate is a sign of trouble. A racing heart can indicate anything from a panic disorder to something much, much more serious. A heart that flutters, or one that skips a beat, could be a sign of secret affliction or it could indicate romance which is the biggest trouble of all. It seems we have no control what so ever over our own hearts. Condition can change without warning. Romance can make the heart pound just like panic can. And panic can make it stop cold in your chest. It’s no wonder doctors spend so much time to keep the heart stable, to keep it slow, steady, regular to stop the heart from pounding out of your chest from the dread of something terrible or the anticipation of something else entirely."
- —Meredith Grey
Izzie has the interns do a barrage of tests on her to find out what's wrong with her. While the Chief tries to get Bailey to stay in general surgery, Dr. Dixon and Dr. Robbins both tell her that she is really meant for peds. Lexie decides she wants to go public with Mark, withholding everything from him until he does, and Arizona kisses Callie. Knowing that Meredith is ready for marriage, Derek gets ready to propose, but his plans for a grand gesture are interrupted.
Full Summary Edit
Episode in detail
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang
- Katherine Heigl as Dr. Izzie Stevens
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
- T.R. Knight as Dr. George O'Malley
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber
- Sara Ramírez as Dr. Callie Torres
- Eric Dane as Dr. Mark Sloan
- Chyler Leigh as Dr. Lexie Grey
- Kevin McKidd as Dr. Owen Hunt
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd
- Jessica Capshaw as Dr. Arizona Robbins
- Jennifer Westfeldt as Jen Harmon
- Ben Shenkman as Rob Harmon
- Peter Mackenzie as Warren Kramer
- Laura Allen as Beth Whitman
- Brandon Scott as Dr. Ryan Spalding
- Melissa George as Dr. Sadie Harris
- Mary McDonnell as Dr. Virginia Dixon
- Susan Merson as Lorraine
- Eric Payne as Dan
- Martha Boles as Lisa
- Lori Harmon as Rachel
- Jamey Dettman as Stacy Pollock
- Mark Saul as Intern Steve
- Molly Kidder as Intern Megan
- Joseph Williamson as Intern Pierce
- Winston Story as Intern Leo
- Kate Anthony as Nurse
|"Stuck It To You"||Nikka Costa||
|"These Streets"||Trolle Sievenhaar||
|"Re: Stacks"||Bon Iver||
|"Never Want To Say It's Love"||Dido||
Notes and Trivia Edit
- This episode's title originated from the song Beat Your Heart Out, originally sung by The Distillers.
- This episode scored 15.20 million viewers.
- This episode leads into the Private Practice episode Acceptance, and runs in parallel to the episode.
- This is the start of the Grey's Anatomy-Private Practice crossover.
- This episode features the first meeting and first kiss of future wives Callie Torres and Arizona Robbins.
- This episode introduces Callie with bangs in her hair.
- Derek: Addison? What happened?
- Derek: She said a thing about babies. Like babies are a totally ordinary idea. She's not afraid, she's ready.
- Mark: When are you gonna do it?
- Richard: Do what?
- Mark: Shepherd's proposing.
- Richard: No kidding? Outstanding! How're you gonna do it?
- Derek: I don't know. Just decided.
- Owen: Morning.
- Mark: Shepherd's proposing.
- Owen: Congratulations, that's a big step.
- Derek: Thank you very much. (to Mark) You just gonna tell everybody now?
- Mark: You need advice. Hunt, you ever proposed before?
- Owen: Uh sorry I'm...not the guy to ask. When are you gonna do it?
- (Meredith approaches)
- Derek: Well more importantly how am I gonna do it?
- Mark: (sees Meredith, coughs) So, what do you use, like a twist drill for that?
- (Richard leaves)
- Derek: Well not if you don't want a partial, pridal hematoma!
- (Derek, Mark and Owen do big fake laugh.)
- Meredith: (confused) Hi... (walks away)
- Callie: Alone people don't like to hear about the together people...It's just sort of mean. It's sort of like bringing a 6-pack to an AA meeting.
|Grey's Anatomy Season 5|
|#01||"Dream a Little Dream of Me, Part 1"||#09||"In the Midnight Hour"||#17||"I Will Follow You Into the Dark"|
|#02||"Dream a Little Dream of Me, Part 2"||#10||"All By Myself"||#18||"Stand By Me"|
|#03||"Here Comes the Flood"||#11||"Wish You Were Here"||#19||"Elevator Love Letter"|
|#04||"Brave New World"||#12||"Sympathy for the Devil"||#20||"Sweet Surrender"|
|#05||"There's No 'I' in Team"||#13||"Stairway to Heaven"||#21||"No Good at Saying Sorry (One More Chance)"|
|#06||"Life During Wartime"||#14||"Beat Your Heart Out"||#22||"What a Difference a Day Makes"|
|#07||"Rise Up”"||#15||"Before and After"||#23||"Here's to Future Days"|
|#08||"These Ties That Bind"||#16||"An Honest Mistake"||#24||"Now or Never"|
|<< Season 4||Season 6 >>|